relocating radiator fans ?

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, would It be ok if I fitted the radiator fins on the other side of the radiator ? (on the bumper side instead of the engine side)
If not, why not ?

S

Sirnixalot

it would be ok but it wouldnt fit if you still had the AC condensor in there. Also your fans will probably be on all the time as they will block airflow at higher speeds when they usually arent on.

A

Anonymous

So normally the fans only work in mid summer, or when stuck in traffic etc, So could maybe get away with only 1 fan... Any comments on this ?
Oh, and my car didn't have an ac when I bought it.

S

Sirnixalot

i wouldnt run just one fan but thats because of my climate. I have seen a road race car in the US with only one fan but he doesnt run more than 1bar of boost i think.

With a top mount you want both fans because when you are in traffic it heats up the air stressing the cooling system.

With a front mount it blocks a fair amount of the intercoolers airflow and the air that does get through has been heated up a little from the intercooler...so you want fans to draw as much air through the rad as possible.

E

Edd

why do you want to do this? Is this because of turbo clearance?
Bruce Spence who runs 2.0 bar on 2.2 stroker only has one fan on the passenger side.
Another alternative is slimline fans :D

A

Anonymous

because of turbo clearance, indeed.

I might just run 1 fan, or the fans on the other side until it becomes summer again. This way I'll have enoug time to find some nice slimline fans or a different solution :)

Someone told me that the radiator from a diesel would probable work better, because it has a better core or something ??? Can someone confirm this ?

S

Sirnixalot

im going to take a guess why you cant clear teh fans....you are running an ebay silvia manifold arent you? :? :roll:

as for the radiator core...im not sure about a diesels being better but you can get radiators from Koyo for our cars.....same as the USDM Sentra B13/B14

but a thicker rad means your cleareance will get worse...so you will have to get slim fans with the thicker rad

A

Anonymous

I'm sorry nicko, it is indeed for the silvia manifold.
I will have a brace on it though, to support the weight of the turbo and the rest of the exhaust, to try and my it less prone to cracking.

I'd like to find a new rad that is just a little bit lower than the current one, so I can fit it under the slam panel easier. I don't mind it to be a bit thicker if I can relocate the entire rad much easier.

A

antilag

i have one fan on each side my temps never go over half way

A

Anonymous

@ antilag: and u have no problem with the fans "over revving" themselves ? Cause I might go that route...

N

N1SMO

i have 1 slimline fan and my temp never goes over 1/4 it can be fitted on either side of the radiator. when driving the wind force spins the fan anyway so it is not realy blocking much air.

clubman slimeline from demon tweeks.

ian

ps i run 1.7 bar