regular unleaded/ super unleaded

dreadnought

hi people, my car has a "stutter" when on full load/throttle, more so when cold.
i know this is a topic in the help section, but was just wondering what fuel people were using. would superunleaded help that much?
have always run regular in my skylines and never had any probs, but am willing to accept peoples advice. maybe start a poll.
cheers for looking and all views gratefully recieved.

johnsy

There's a lesson to be learned here!.................Let it get up to temp before using boost!

pulsarmoley

I have always used regular in mine with no issues,then mine is one of the lesser hp R's. Someone will probably correct me but dont the people running high boost normally use super to help with det etc?...

whytie

Everyone should be using 99 ron, apart from uk specs.

If you drive like a granny then I'm sure regular fuel will be ok but not on boost.

M

markwashington

If your car has ever been mapped. there's a high chance it will be mapped for higher octane petrol. Someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think lower fuel will break you car, it just means that it won't be running as well as it should. It's not worth the risk.

In my experience, once I'd had my car mapped (with V-Power) it didn't run as good on any other sort of petrol. I was once forced to put in some low octane as I was really low and there were no Shells around. The difference was very noticeable and the car did have a sort of stutter (more like a tiny delay in response) when accelerating hard.

As above, never, ever, ever boost your car when it's cold.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If your car has ever been mapped. there's a high chance it will be mapped for higher octane petrol. Someone on here will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think lower fuel will break you car, it just means that it won't be running as well as it should. It's not worth the risk.
It can if the ignition sytem can't compensate enough. You'll end up detting and blowing the engine.

bracpan

It can if the ignition sytem can't compensate enough. You'll end up detting and blowing the engine.
Yes that is correct, and in some cases it wont take very long either...plus you should never run any boost until the oil is warm and up to temperature.