regassing a/c?

Ok so its been a few years since a post on a/c. Having just got a gtir i found the a/c works great but as its on r12 gas can i get parts to make it work on r134b? I'm maybe buying a fmic kit and also wondering if its possible to fit it infront of the a/c rad without cutting the bumper? Opinions please

Nick K

As you have maybe read R12 is not available anymore so if you open up the a/c system ( which is not advised when charged ) you have no choice but convert it to R134a. Converting to R134a can be a expensive( Changing compressor oil and washing unit out along with pipework, new Dryer, R134a connectors. Hp switch if its not got one, o rings etc etc, If you can keep the working R12 system I would try to do that and save yourself a headache. Are you sure its still on R12 ?? If its already be changed to R134a then it makes it a lot easier to recharge the system.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Check there isn't a sticker somewhere to say that has been converted. - Mine has one, but the A/C was removed when I bought the car.

Fire & skill

Vintage member
If you were near me I would have done it for you. R134a needs an ester oil, the R12 was mineral. I've put R134a in a few R12 systems before without issue and that's using the same mineral oil. You would get away with a drop - in refrigerant, these are basically blended refrigerants that contain some r134a with a few other bits and pieces added too. Is there still some R12 in it?

Thanks for replies guys, i can fit the intercooler with the a/c rad in place. I kept thinking I couldn't fit an intercooler with the rad but turns out I can.