Rebuilding engine yourself??

BenD

Just wondering if anyone has built their engine thereselves?

Cant find any posts about it, what was thinking tuners must want a shed load of cash to build these engines for a reason. they obviously know what they are doing, and they do it day in day out.

Theres always a possibility of me buying uprated internals in the search for more power, but i'd like to know how competant you have to be?

Ive rebuild a Ford CVH before, and it wasnt that daunting, but i didnt get it timed up or anything, i was more or less putting things back from where they came from.

I spose if you have the time and equipment (and cash) it is easily done.

I dont wanna be stripping the engine and finding it more complex than i first thought, and giving up on it.

My car is off the road now, stripped interior, and am thinking of splashing out on some decent kit for my engines guts in the months to come.

Would be buying it bit by bit, and if it takes a year, it takes a year :roll: i aint that bothered, im just deciding what to do to the car at thge moment, and ive already decided to gut it.

I have the tools, the space, a bit of know how, and ill have the cash (some cash) now that my car is off the road, so anyone who could steer me in the right direction about going about this, please give me a shout!!

Cheers

Ben

S

Sirnixalot

measure 4 times
torque once

make sure you get all the clearances within spec as well as the proper grade bearings.

You will need a factory service manual....end of story.

Take your time and have fun really. You have previous experience to boot.....so you are better off.

I should be trying my hand at this later on this year or next.

BenD

Cheers Nikko :D

tried to get hold of u last night on msn about it.

Where am i gonna find a factory service manual???

S

Sirnixalot

A few people have been selling bootleg copies on CD around the forum. Other than that JU5TY can chime in on where he bought his....some where in australia if i remember.

Sorry...went to bed early (12am) last night :oops:

P

purplemonster

there is very little special about an R engine ,in fact it is easier than most that i have done

an engine is an engine ,
just measure the bearings get the correct shells
and ring gaps etc correct toruques for rods and bearings

i have built several engines my old vauxhall lump is now in a calibra turbo and running 12s

ROBERT

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I have another engine rebuild project going on at the moment, like Robert said an engine is an engine, and the GTi-R engine is no different from any other modern engine, this will be my second SR20DET rebuild and my first is still going strong @ 1.6bar 20,000 miles down the line. Just make sure you are clinically clean and follow the manual for tolerences and guidlines e.t.c. if you have the tools and the knowledge to hand you'll be fine.

Steve

I have the engine service manual on CD, if you want one see the sticky in buying and selling.

P

purplemonster

mine cost me

£400 pistons
£180 machining and bearings and rebore
£25 head gasket
£308 oil pump

and built and fitted it

bargin if u asl me

i dread to think how much i would be paying if i was not doing the work myself?

and i chuked in my spare box while it was all out :) as my old 5th was playing ip

A

antilag

im doing mine meself so if its ready for totb please stand back i cant b held responsible for rod through your neck damage :lol:

J

Jon T

My friend recently did his with the engine in place, but the hardest thing of it all he said was fitting the head back on due to the space in there.

I'll be doing mine myself if it pops, but I might take the engine out because I'll need to for it to be rebored I suppose. I'm not looking forward to that at all.. But I have the space, tools and people who know more than me.. I even have a car lift in my workshop :p

J

Jamz

I had pondered doing this but as I have no experience any mistake would be an expensive mistake. :(

Mr GTiR

purplemonster said:
mine cost me

£400 pistons
£180 machining and bearings and rebore
£25 head gasket
£308 oil pump

and built and fitted it

bargin if u asl me

i dread to think how much i would be paying if i was not doing the work myself?

and i chuked in my spare box while it was all out :) as my old 5th was playing ip
got to agree with Rob, not much to building an engine. The only additional cost i had were £150 for a Tommie h/g, £42 for a water pump, £300 for gear box rebuild, £400 for a clutch, and about £200 on additional gaskets and bits and bobs.

Should have it up and running in a few weeks time :wink:

Don't know how long it will last though LOL :?

J

Jon T

What kind of gearbox rebuild was that then?, please tell!

I've had a quote of £1000, though the work is guarantee'd and they'll fix it for free within a year unless it's down to excessive power. Which I thought was good.

O

Odin

Jon T said:
What kind of gearbox rebuild was that then?, please tell!

I've had a quote of £1000, though the work is guarantee'd and they'll fix it for free within a year unless it's down to excessive power. Which I thought was good.
1k fook off thats way to much to pay :cry: , I just had my Quaife box and
trans box rebuilt by berni at the gearbox man for £585 all in deliverd to my door that that included the fitting and supplying new oil unions for my
gearbox oil cooler.

It should be £400 tops inless you have any broken gears :wink: .

rob

Mr GTiR

that price was for opening the box up and checking that all was ok. from the looks of my box it was either recon'd or new internals fitted when it was in Japan. all the gears were measured and found to be within tolourance (spelling) and all the selectors folks and bearing were like brand new 8)

the internals just needed a general clean up and everyting was checked. also ALL new seals have been thrown in just for good measure.

Like Rob say it should be £400 tops!!!

PM me if you want more details.

Regards
Andy

BenD

Thanks all!!

Alot of help there :D

Just need to make sure i can go without the car of a long period, im getting itchy feet now, and its only been 4 days :cry:

Thanks for the advice!!

Cheers

Ben