Rebuild idle and fueling problems

Sween

Hey guys, the longest rebuild in the world is almost complete! But as you would expect things have not gone to plan. I have had my Pulsar rebuilt with standard replacement parts the only differences being 87mm oversized forged pistons and new steel con rods. I have had everything machined properley as well.

When the engine was dropped back in it fired up first time and all was happy except you could smell in the air it was overfueling. No big deal I thought as it needs to be mapped properley anyway. However now this has disappeared and in its place is a real black spot in the rev range. The car hits 2k RPM and just stops, coughs and struggles to get past.

I have decided to have the car trailored to have a basic fuel map sorted rather than risk driving the car at all to run it back in but I wondered whether anyone else had come across this. As me, my mechanic and everyone else I speak to are left scratching our heads! Any help appreciated folks.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Isn't that about where the turbo starts spooling; could it be boost leak related?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
I assume you have some sort of stand alone fuel controller/ECU ?

are you sure all your vacuum pipes are on properly

Sween

I have checked all the vacuum hoses they all seem fine. There is no aftermarket ECu on the car it is a normal standard ECU. Horsham developments will remap the standard ECU to the power I have required and this car is being built on a tight budget so standalone systems are pretty much out of the question.

I havent looked for any fault codes as I do not know what software or device I need to read them

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Eh? How are you getting a standard ECU mapped; it needs to be cracked-open and modified to be mapped (which then makes it a non-standard ECU)!?
You don't need any software to check the fault codes; just a paperclip, the ability to count, and a bit of patience. (Clicky)