Rebuild costs

kenan

South West Regional Rep
Whats about the avarage cost for rebuilding a blown engine? there is a car with a blown engine I'm interested.

thanks

deank93

3kish for a basic rebuild with forged pistons.....you'd be best picking up a standard runner engine for about £800

kenan

South West Regional Rep
That much, how much of that is parts as I know a guy who would do the labour cheapish

Like the idea of another engine and then rebuilding the dead one when I get the spare cash

PaulB

It all depends whose doing the work.

Im budgeting £1500 with all work being done by myself.

Spec will be

Arias forged Pistons

Eagle Rods

New oil and water pump

Cometic 1.2mm head gasket

ARP studs

Machine work:- rebore, flywheel skim, maybe lightened and balance crank and flywheel

New bearings

Im sure theres other bits that ive missed. If youve got it in you to do it yourself, then go for it, your knowledge base will be huge when you done.

kenan

South West Regional Rep
No way I could do it my self, would kill it for sure. But could always help my mate (well slow him down but lear more). He rebuild one a year or so ago so could ask him for a quote. . . . all depends on the damage to the engine I suppose. Could always strip it and go from there

P

pulsarboby

above is about right!
i spent around that figure when i done mine, but that included cams and porting head, but i did get a lot of parts very cheap!

if you just want a basic rebuild, then it really depends on whats wrong with the engine and what it needs to bring up to spec, and how far you want to go with it!

azboy

mine cost me 900 but with standard rods, and a very good deal on my clutch the most expensive parts were the pistons, if ur not going for big big power i personally never balance anything apart from the pistons which came balanced for free, as these engines are very well balanced as they are, so i dont see the need unless want a big big power, as if u put one crank flywheen on machine and balance it then swap it to another it will most likely show it needs a balance again, basically saying its not just the person who does the job but when did the machine last get calibrated and if so could the person be bothered to do it right, if anything like our brake rolling road they dont, but just charge u for it and make out there doing something, which can do more harm then good as there very well balanced as they are from the factory, oviously though if u change the flywheel then get it done.

azboy

1000 for a basic rebuild if u do it urself or add labour on off ur mechanic would charge to do it.

P

pulsarboby

yeah i'd say a grand to fifteen hundred with forge internals, steel h/g, rebore, new pump internals and timing chain, bearings etc.
depends how hard you look to get the parts cheap!

snoon

£500 for pistons - Mine are Wossner. You can get JE ones from US for £400 ish but you have to wait 3 or 4 weeks i think.
£150 - £250 for gaskets.
£350 - Engine internal work - re-bore, pistons putting in, Polish crank etc
£550 - for my mate to take it apart and put it all back together!
Plus any other bits you need.

This is ish what i spent getting my forged rebuild done.

P

pulsarboby

you can buy a set of weisco forge teflon coated pistons and eagle rods off ebay for £380 in a kit with everything youll need!

rebore is around £60 (if you fit pistons yourself)
flywheel lightening and balancing etc is only around £40
shells are around £130 big ends and mains
dont know about crank as i never bothered with that, like azboy said they are generally fairly well balanced, but its the fly that causes most probs due to heat spots and warpage from launching etc!

you will save a fortune by doing it yourself and hunting around for the parts on the cheap (well cheapish anyway)

if you want i will find a link to the pistons and rods for you!

M

micra man

can you put a link for the rods please they sound awfully cheap

P

pulsarboby

micra man said:
can you put a link for the rods please they sound awfully cheap

ive just looked for it and its gone off my ebay:sad:
someone originally put the link on here regarding the package deal from the states, (was within the last 2 months)
it was for wiesco pistons, eagle rods with all rings, arp studs etc in the kit and it was for £384
the links on here somewhere if someone can find it!