rear wiper replacement

A

Anonymous

Dunno if this has been covered before but has anyone tried to replace the gtir's cacky rear wiper with something a bit more stylish, eg a clio rear wiper on a 205, there must be one somewhere that will fit, any ideas[?]

LeeSmith

I have managed to chrome the front wipers on my car - i wasn't too sure on how it would look, I like them and everyone comments on how good they look. Maybe you could do the same to the back one????

Or do like GTI-R Kid suggests and change it to a horizontal jobbie - I'm going to do that over the week end.

A

Anonymous

Lee,

Have you got a pic mate? Sounds good!

Dunc

"Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if pac man affected us as
kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and
listening to repetitive music."

A

Anonymous

Cheers, all good ideas but I wanna try and come up with something that hasn't been done before, guess that means I gotta think of something myself for it to not have been done before, best get my thinking cap on...

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
quote:Originally posted by LeeSmith
I have managed to chrome the front wipers on my car

[:0]

Some of the black paint is coming off my wipers and when the sun hits them from behind at the right angle I get blinded. I'll be buying some black paint shortly.[;)]

A

AZ STE

The best wiper I have found is a Punto rear wiper(lays flat) I fitted it to my Golf GTi.It will fit on GTiR but you have to reverse the wiper mechanism so it wipes up, its mentioned on the site somewhere how to do this.

A.....Z Ste

G

GTI-R Kid

quote:Originally posted by Fast Guy
I'll be buying some black paint shortly.[;)]

Or a decent pair of sunglasses maybe?[:D][:p][;)]

Rob

G

gotoinstant-redline

right..

i have the best idea....
get rid of the wiper!!! you dont need it! and once its gone you will have saved some weight so your 0-60 and 1/4 times will be better :)

free bhp/ton..

L.

G

GTI-R Kid

I don't know about the weather in the UK - but if its anyway similar to Ireland (can't be much different really) then the rear wiper is almost a necessity if you want to be able to look behind.

In crappy weather the rear spoiler almost creates a vacuum effect sucking all the roadspray and crap onto the rear screen meaning that rear vision is seriously impared after only a short spin in the rain.

Plus the wiper, motor and whatever else is involved really isn't that heavy (i've had mine off to modify it to lay horizontally).

S

Sirnixalot

the whole rear wiper assembly weighs in at a whopping 1.36kg

hardly worth the effort and hole in your boot lid...but im not a normal person nor do i live in rainland so off it went with me

For the body people you could either get a bit of metal welded over the hole, have it smootheed and then paint the whole lid over OR you cna do what i did.....a grommet and some silicone later it was sealed and lighter than that heavy metal, weld and body filler ;)