Rear windows.

dencon

I want to replace rear side windows with plastic, but am unable to get at the two nuts that hold them in.
The full welded in roll cage is blocking the two holes.
Has anyone managed to get the glass out with holders in place. could then slide plastic
in to holders, and secure.
Also have not seen before, the cage is also bolted to both A and B pillars.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I think your only option may be to break the glass and dig out all the little bits if you can't remove the glass intact.

TBH tho, for the sake of about 1.5kg a side, is it worth the hassle?

vss irvine

he's reshelling his car just for better weight distribution, so id say YES in this case it would be worth it.

den your parts WILL be picked up monday.

im not sure theyll get to you next day with your weather, but we have no snow here.

hillgtir

hi den its ian yeo, i had the same problem i used a heat gun on the front,i managed to undo the rear bolts, are you still going lhd?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
he's reshelling his car just for better weight distribution, so id say YES in this case it would be worth it.
Hmmm, I'm not so sure unless he can remove so much weight from the front that those 3kg are worth it. I can't remember exactly from when I weighed mine, but it's about 65F:35R or 60/40 weight distribution at best, so just removing weight from the front and leaving the rear intact would move it closer towards that (probably impossible on our cars) 50:50 ideal.
If he's desperate for all out weight loss then go for it.

dencon

Ian. It,s the two nuts on rear windows that unable to get at. Yes I have got a lhd rolling shell that I am building up for hillclimbing only, so every kilo helps.
Am going to try and drill larger hole to one side and try a swivel and socket. getting it back on will be the problem if I do manage to get them out. cheers den..

P

pulsarboby

Am going to try and drill larger hole to one side and try a swivel and socket. getting it back on will be the problem if I do manage to get them out. cheers den..

hi den, thats what i would have suggested what you just wrote......instead of using swivel socket use an 8mm ratchet ring spanner, shouldnt be a prob putting them back on either, use a bit of plasticine stuck over one side of ratchet spanner to stop the nut falling through then gradually move the thread in whilst ratcheting ; )

STU666V

I used a very long socket and came out fine. I pulled the glass out from the metal frame and glue in my pvc ones and bolted it back in.

dencon

Stu.
Did you have cage in line with bolt holes, if so did you drill hole to one side to get your long socket in?.

STU666V

Stu.
Did you have cage in line with bolt holes, if so did you drill hole to one side to get your long socket in?.
HI,

No i did before the cage was in, you might get away with drilling a hole at the side a bit? if you do get them out cut down the thread a bit so you dont need so long of a socket the next time?
Sorry i cant be any more help :-(