realiability

D

_dave_

hi guys

right im looking at getting my first pulsar. i keep getting told by people they are unreliable and all imports are but i know this isnt true.

i wanted to ask, generally, if you buy a pulsar, and treat it well, and dont heavily modify them, are they quite reliable?

thing is with most turbo jap cars is they have been thrashed because they are built for speed, if i can get a good example with no obvious problems, then will i be in with a good future with the R?

hope the meaning of this post is apparant

Thanks

John

Yes they are reliable but they are over 15 years old now so as you'd expect take need a bit maintainance.

Alot of them are dogs tho so its just a case of finding a well looked after one and being willing to spend money on it. Engines are generally bullet proof, clutchs do need upgraded tho if boost is increased and gearboxes altho have a bad reputation are quite solid if treated well.

EVOBAD

if u can find one which hasnt had the boost turned up & total strd bar exhuast then it will be reliable ,once you start playing with boost thats when you hit the trouble

D

_dave_

thanks for your reply john, here is the spec of the car im looking at. the guy has said they are no problems with it, and he browses this forum a lot.

84,000 miles, Gunmetal Grey, 84,000 miles, 1991, Gunmetal Grey, New MOT/6mth Tax, 1 Bar boost, Dastek Unichip, HKS SSQV BOV, OZ Hydra 16" Alloys, New Tyres, Full 5" Mongoose system, Exedy racing clutch, Tar-Ox G88 Grooved Brake discs/Mintex M1144 pads, Tanabe suspension system(-40mm), Whiteline springs, Denso Iridium plugs, Magnecor Leads, Apexi power air intake, Walbro uprated fuel pump, Front and Rear Strut Braces, TOAD AI606 Alarm/Immobiliser, 1000w JBL ICE, Fully Dyna-matted, Sony CDX70 MP3 Head Unit, Umbrella, Electric folding mirrors, JAP mesh windows, Clear indicators, C/locking, e/w, pas, 4x4, ABS

the dastek is unfitted, went straight through MOT recently with just needing front tyres which were replaced. clutch is a year old. price is 3295 ono

Last edited by a moderator:

John

_dave_ said:
thanks for your reply john, here is the spec of the car im looking at. the guy has said they are no problems with it, and he browses this forum a lot.

84,000 miles, Gunmetal Grey, 84,000 miles, 1991, Gunmetal Grey, New MOT/6mth Tax, 1 Bar boost, Dastek Unichip, HKS SSQV BOV, OZ Hydra 16" Alloys, New Tyres, Full 5" Mongoose system, Exedy racing clutch, Tar-Ox G88 Grooved Brake discs/Mintex M1144 pads, Tanabe suspension system(-40mm), Whiteline springs, Denso Iridium plugs, Magnecor Leads, Apexi power air intake, Walbro uprated fuel pump, Front and Rear Strut Braces, TOAD AI606 Alarm/Immobiliser, 1000w JBL ICE, Fully Dyna-matted, Sony CDX70 MP3 Head Unit, Umbrella, Electric folding mirrors, JAP mesh windows, Clear indicators, C/locking, e/w, pas, 4x4, ABS

the dastek is unfitted, went straight through MOT recently with just needing front tyres which were replaced. clutch is a year old. price is 3295 ono
MOT is good but is fairly irrelevent imo, can be plenty of things wrong that arent picked up on the MOT. End of the spec is all well and good but nothing beats going out and having a proper look over and drive as that will highlight any obvious issues. And remember of course the seller is going to say its running good, he wants to sell it ;-)

D

_dave_

yes your right john. im taking a friend with me who is very knowledgable with jap cars and mechanics who owned a 320bhp subaru, also was trying to get hold of Bopper from this forum as he isnt too far from me also, havent spoken to him in about a year though :( . would be good to get someone very knowledgable with gtirs to accompany me.

anyone in kent want £20 and a mars bar to help out a possible new R owner? :D

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
• Maintain well
• Use quality parts/oil
• Fix small/niggly problems to avoid them expanding
• See forum FAQ's for further info

gtir_pimp

John said:
And remember of course the seller is going to say its running good, he wants to sell it ;-)
lol, i once went to look at a van and when i asked if it had ever had any trouble he told me the gearbox had just had a lot of work done cos it was giving him jip!!!:doh: :lol:

so i walked away!

P

pulsarboby

hi dave
in answer to pm you sent
posted this as may be of help to any others wanting to buy one of these ol shitters lol
i would have had a look at one for you but im up in southend on sea which is a good hour or so from you.
plus im off out with the mrs tomorrow so wouldnt be able to do it then anyway.

if you do look at one, then heres a few tips which may help:

watch for smoke on acceleration and coming off boost,

black smoke indicating overfuelling,

white smoke possible blowing head gasket,

blue smoke either engine or turbo problems.

listen for any bigend knocks or top end knocks (especially on light revving)

watch oil pressure when hot at idle and under acceleration

check for oil leaks under car

take rad cap off when engines cold and rev car, if water fly's out the radiator then walk away as it will have done a head gasket.

put car in 2nd gear and pull handbrake up and carry out stall test on clutch to make sure its not slipping

also check gearbox for smoothness, any graunching or difficult gear selection then once again walk away, or negotiate!

check under side chassis rails to make sure people havent jacked car up on them as it will bend the floor pan in.

then also check for obvious signs of accident damage and bad repairs, including under boot carpet and front lower slam panel.

the rest of the car is as you see it with regard to rust spots etc so you can make your own mind up with those bits if any.

take car on a good long drive so everything is nice n hot and tell the fella you'll put fuel in it.

DONT cane the living daylights out of it or try and show off with your driving skills as this will give him the right raving hump and he will tell you to fcuk off lol
last of all have a check through paperwork if your happy with everything else.

hope that helps fella;-)