Rattling / Resonating from exhaust...

A

Adamantium

Between 2.1k and 2.6k on the revs, I get a lovely rattling / resonating from somewhere on my exhaust piping...

Having had a closer look, i can see that the sound is coming from within this...

I assume the baffles inside are fooked?
In which case, what would be my best option considering it's a custom system? Would i be able to get a straight-through pipe that replaces that section?

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

Adamantium said:
Between 2.1k and 2.6k on the revs, I get a lovely rattling / resonating from somewhere on my exhaust piping...

Having had a closer look, i can see that the sound is coming from within this...

I assume the baffles inside are fooked?
In which case, what would be my best option considering it's a custom system? Would i be able to get a straight-through pipe that replaces that section?
The pic isn't working bud but, I'm guessing it's of the decat pipe/centre box ?!

If it is rattling, from withing, it's almost certainly part of the silencing system that has rusted away and come loose.

With this in mind, exhaust you have is a Mongoose so, you can either go for a new centre box, from Mongosse/ Blueflame or, get a decat pipe put in there.
You can then choose a silenced or un-silenced decat pipe.

A

Adamantium

Fixed the pic...
You sure it's a Mongoose? As i've had quite a few ppl say it's custom and not a full goose system?

youngsyp

Adamantium said:
Fixed the pic...
You sure it's a Mongoose? As i've had quite a few ppl say it's custom and not a full goose system?
Adam,
from the centre box design and lack of other boxes, I'm positive it's a Mongoose.

I'd go and see an exhaust fabricator and get them to replicate that centre box. It should be fairly cheap and it will most likely out last the rest of the exhaust.

I used CC Customs (info@cc-customs.com) in Wellingborough to fabricate a rear box for me, when I had issues with the law. They were'nt brilliant but, for a simple job like this, they're idea.

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

yep its a silenced decat box, there either made by mongoose or hks and are not cheap new!
but ive got a good s/h one you can have for £45 plus p+p, pm me if you want it

may be worth removing it first, as a piece of metal or something may be jammed in there that you may be able to shake out!

Last edited by a moderator:

youngsyp

pulsarboby said:
yep its a silenced decat box, ive got a good s/h one you can have for £45 plus p+p, pm me if you want it
Just noticed that Bob. I should have realised and pointed him in your direction first ! :doh:

A

Adamantium

Thanks both of you, i'll whip it off to see if it salvagable...
Boby, the box you have - will it be a straight-swap, or will it need some work to get fitted?

P

pulsarboby

straight swap adam!
but as i said, remove the old one first and bang it on the ground to shake any bits that may be lodged in there! may have collapsed inside, but could be a lump of loose rust or something, but then again it may be a blade off your turbo!!! it takes ten minutes to whip it off and have a look before you send me your wedge:lol: ;-)

youngsyp

Make sure you spray all the nuts and bolts, plus the sensor with copious amounts of WD40. Let it soak for a while too. ;-)

LOU ROB

When my mongoose cat replacement box did exactly the same, I contacted them and I got a new one from them free of charge.

A

Adamantium

LOU ROB said:
When my mongoose cat replacement box did exactly the same, I contacted them and I got a new one from them free of charge.
Did you have to provide proof of purchase?