Random Spring rates waffle

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I PM'd this to Paul in response to a query. its not perfect but I tidied it up a bit to post here. I go into why I and others think many coilovers are too stiff for the road.

This is likely to make people's head's explodes but if you do a search on CPM and springs then I'm sure they'll be some good info out there on the net to fill in the gaps.

Jim

======================================================
I run Teins with 4kg/mm front and 3Kg/mm rear. These are a good road spring IMO, just keep the dampers soft.

For the track if it rains they're good too as stiff just slips in the wet.

The JIC/K-Sport/etc all seem to be around 7.5Kg/mm Fr and 5.1kg/mm rear. IMO, this is too high for the road, too high for the wet and too high for some tracks.

I won't go into too much detail but each spring performs depending on the weight it supports. For our cars you can calculate the natural frequency of any given spring. The JIC/Ksport etc have a (cycles per minute) CPM of 124 F and 149 R. In comparison to the Tein which are 91 F and 115R. Big deal? Well real suspension gurus, like Gordon Murray et al who design formula 1 and road cars consider a CPM of around 60-80 for a normal car, 100 for a sports car and 120 for a track car. Incidentally a CPM of 30-50 is menat to induce motion sickness :lol: . They also reckon the only reason you need to go above 150 is if you have aerodynamic downforce as the weight of the car increases the faster you go. So the cheaper brands are at the top limit for a dry track car without aero. Another problem with really stiff springs is you're becoming too dependent on your tyres spring rates as they do all the bump absorption. If you are still getting too much roll at the top limit, the solution is a stiffer ARB rather than more spring rate.

The cheaper brands will still handle fine on corners and better on others but if you throw in a bump, rumble strip etc then it is more likely to become unstable which might help keep the front in the right direction or might see you fighting with oversteer.

Great, I like oversteer you might say... well not exactly, the 7.5/5.1 once converted to CPM for our cars this gives a F/R ratio of 0.83 very close to the standard Sunny setup of 3/2 of 0.84

The Teins however make the back slightly stiffer and shift the CPM ratio down to 0.79. this might not sound a lot but it means you're making the front softer and premoting a touch more oversteer than standard without resorting to creating oversteer through a total loss of grip. I believe the cheaper spring rates are a function of lazy engineering and swaying towards the Amercian/drift market were if stiff is good then stiffer is better.

The balance of F/R is also dependent on damper settings, ride height, tyres etc but my feeling is a smidge more wouldn't hurt Something around 0.77. Suspension setup is about subtlety, If this is too much then an extra 5mm raise in the back would solve it or softening your rear ARB.

This wis roughly where I'm at, I'm busy with a few other things on the car but my plan was to buy some springs and try them out.

I've caluclated loads of spring combos to try but it really depends on what driving you do and what springs are available on the coilovers you buy. For example:

4F/3R kg/mm Safe bet, well proven with Tein

These calculated ones are all based on standard lb/ft springs converted to kg/mm

4F/3.2R kg/mm A tweak better?
4.5F/3.6R kg/mm more track biased whilst still road worthy
4.9F/4.0R bit more
5.8F/4.5R bit more
6.3F/4.9R Average UK track in dry
7.2F/5.4R Maximum the maths says you should use, though the back is a little high.

Now these might all look a bit "soft" if you'll excuse the pun but after trawling the SR20 forum, of the people who seemed to know what they were talking about (One guy used springs so stiff he openly admitted his shell was the actual spring:shock: ), I found 11 track setups, of those, 9 were softer than the K-sports etc whilst the two heavier both had weld in roll cages. The average dry track setup is somewhere between these 2:

4.9F/4.0R
5.8F/4.5R

A quick calulation of your friends evo you don't like shows it has Fr 7kg/mm and CPM 120 with Rr 5kg/mm and CPM 148. This is text book stuff for the max for a dry circuit car.

IMO, looking at the Tein guide, they have put some effort into recommeding an overall suspension setup which is commendable. Just because what I use is different doesn't means its better for the next person.

I've said it before but handling is subjective depending on your goals. Softer than Tein might be optimum for you if you have bad B-roads or a lot of rain and a drift setup is very different to everything I've just said. The way the rest of your car is setup is important but hopefull this waffle has given a few pointers.

O

Odin

Good thread as ever Jim, As soon as I know the size of my springs then I'll order the softer one's because the K-Sports are far to stiff in my own opinion.

Rob

bracpan

I agree totaly with whats been said, I race on Teins and just lets say my spring rates are not standard but are in line to what is printed above. I have been saying for ages that many coilovers are NOT suitable for the road and only for certain smooth tracks.
Well done
Phil

Lionel

Rob i have a word 2day after talking to u and was told if u go down to the waight u asked me about your coilovers would banafit a re-valveing as to make the ride softer and also so the springs car be mached to the shocks beter.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Rob, you know where I am if you need a hand..... or a load of waffle ;-)

Phil, thanks again for the Alan Stanniforth book reference, it was the right book at the right time and has been helping me a lot of late. I just need time to move things forward and find my own special spring rates now.

P

Pascal

Odin said:
Good thread as ever Jim, As soon as I know the size of my springs then I'll order the softer one's because the K-Sports are far to stiff in my own opinion.
Agreed, I special-ordered my K-Sports with 6F/4.5R which I will be saving for the occasional visit to a very smooth track. I intend on moving the 4.5's to the front and sourcing a set of 3.5's for the rear in the very near future.

Kev@Apex

One of the big advanatges of coilovers is the ability to swap springs to attain the best spring rate thats suited to you the individual. You should ask your supplier if you can order your coilovers with other spring rates, this is possible with K-sport I know for a fact ;)

Most, but not all, coilovers manufactured for Jap cars are quite hard, and suited for the track or for people wanting coilovers at the firm side of "fast road".

I would advise that most people who want a pure road with maybe a track day a year would be best with springs 33% softer.
Taking the K-sport example above, the "standard" rates are 7.5Kg/mm front and 5.3kg/mm, with 33% less spring rate this gives 5kg/mm front and 3.5kg/mm rear, which is not as soft as the Tein example in post #1 but this 33% is only a rough guide.

youngsyp

Kev@Apex said:
One of the big advanatges of coilovers is the ability to swap springs to attain the best spring rate thats suited to you the individual. You should ask your supplier if you can order your coilovers with other spring rates, this is possible with K-sport I know for a fact ;)

Most, but not all, coilovers manufactured for Jap cars are quite hard, and suited for the track or for people wanting coilovers at the firm side of "fast road".

I would advise that most people who want a pure road with maybe a track day a year would be best with springs 33% softer.
Taking the K-sport example above, the "standard" rates are 7.5Kg/mm front and 5.3kg/mm, with 33% less spring rate this gives 5kg/mm front and 3.5kg/mm rear, which is not as soft as the Tein example in post #1 but this 33% is only a rough guide.
I tried to get K-Sports with spring rates similar to the Tein rates and was told that "That is too far away from the standard spring rates and they don't go down that soft !" The lowest they could go was 6 KG/mm front and 4 KG/mm rear. That's why I went for a D2 set up in the end !
Strange but, I thought they all came from the same factory ?!

Another important point is that it's all very well reducing the spring rates but, the dampers will need re-valving to suit. Otherwise, the ride will still be very unpleasant and, the resulting handling quite poor !

I read somewhere that anything greater than a +- 0.2 KG/mm change in spring rate should require the accompanying damper to be re-valved to suit ?!

O

Odin

I don't understand the people that think the K-sports are any good with the current choice of spring rates, I find mine even on the softest settings to be way to hard for a road car of any description, When you hit a corner mid bend and bounce right over to the other on coming lane, Then their is most defiantly something wrong with their performance.

And the wet weather performance is also shocking, With the car washing out on roundabouts at even the lowest of speeds, On a dry day yes they are a lot better and on track mine where brilliant, But how often are we on track or a perfect road suffice ?.

I've sent K-sport an e-mail today asking for details on softer spring rates and revalving, I also asked them about their more expensive inverted shocks which they also list for the gtir .

Rob

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
youngsyp said:
Strange but, I thought they all came from the same factory ?!

Another important point is that it's all very well reducing the spring rates but, the dampers will need re-valving to suit. Otherwise, the ride will still be very unpleasant and, the resulting handling quite poor !

I read somewhere that anything greater than a +- 0.2 KG/mm change in spring rate should require the accompanying damper to be re-valved to suit ?!
I read that they were made in the same place but use different distributors. Maybe its like with Golf's, A3's and Leon's in that they're made in the same factory too but have very different options lists.

On the dampers, I'm not sure of the maths off hand and 0.2kg/mm sounds a bit sensitive but in the main that's what adjustable dampers are for. The problem comes if your damper range is not broad enough. Normally having a non-linear needle valve gives you a better range.

Kev@Apex

Dampers arent that sensitive to spring rate changes. Look at most aftermarket dampers, say KYB's that you would match up to another companies springs, say Eibach. You can then adjust the damper to match your spring.

I've done some research and the reason K-sport would not supply below 4kg springs for you in concerns about bottoming out the damper and reapeatidly doing so would damage the damper itself.

I can have a set made up if somebody wants to try them, on the understanding that they would have to zip-tie the damper rod, and run without the shock boot to monitor the amount of travel that they get to check it wasnt bottoming out all the time. The kits are designed to run a hard spring so therefore dont need a long travel damper. I am chatting to the moderators about a group buy on coilovers, I could supply a kit at the group buy price. Alternativly I could supply Pascal with a set of 3Kg rear spring and he could do the test on damper travel.

youngsyp: How do you find the damper travel? Do you bottom out often?

Odin - I didnt recieve your e-mail, was that to info@ksport.co.uk or info@k-sport.co.uk ?

Last edited:

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Kev, welcome to the site, thanks for coming along and offering people a hand.

A few thoughts, I'm still not convinced the designers of the K-sports have seen a Gtir and certainly not on the UK roads.

The rear rate is tadge on the soft side, I don't know Pascal but its interesting his optimum CPM ratio is the same as mine. He's thinking a 4.5F and 3.5R which IMO is the A roads and couple of track days a year spec. There's nothing wrong with the Tein at 10% less either though and they're probbaly better for the B-Roads and wet roads.

I'm surprised K-tech are worried about the damper travel unless they give less than 4". Aside from that, the zip tie test would only work for everyone if Pascal lowered his car to the max as some owners like the style as it does stuff all for handling. Overly Lowered cars might still have warranty claims.

Cheers,
Jim

bracpan

If the shock is not valved correctly for the spring rate ( its normaly within a certain range) it will never work propaly. I have actually seen a single seater on the deck after a run because the shock was valved wrong and would not alow the spring to return after it hit a bump. The opposite can also happen if the spring is to powerfull for the shock as it will not damp it. Its important the company can tell you the range the shock works at. If they cant stay away from them as they dont know there stuff. You would be suppriesed how bad some of these companies are. There again there are some very great ones to deal with and good value to. Its always the same if its cheep its cheap for a reason and thats normaly quality of the product. Thats why top & race and rally teams pay thousands per corner for their suspension.
Cheers
Phil

youngsyp

KevD said:
youngsyp: How do you find the damper travel? Do you bottom out often?
I'll let you know when I get them fitted. However, I can't see 'bottoming' out as an issue as, the springs are still a fair bit stiffer than the OE items or even aftermarket lowering springs I'd suspect and my car doesn't bottom out currently.

Plus, I thought that was one of the benefits of coilovers, over a lowering spring and stock damper set up ?! I.e. that ride height is fully adjustable, indepenent of damper travel.

I won't be going very low on my set up, probably 35mm lower at the front and 30mm lower at the rear than stock, or thereabouts.

I do commend your efforts with what you're currently doing, just a shame it's a bit late for me now.