radiator fans(tech people help please)

coxie

hi i am going to be fitting a tubular manifold to my car after i get back from totb3 and was thinking when i fit it my fans might have to be moved from one side of the radiator to the other due to space restrictions :!:

can this be done :?:
if so how :?:
is it something to do with polarity on them. :?:

also big thanks to edd for the email/pics before.i owe you one :wink:

J

jasegould

If you fit them on the front theyll suck hot air thru the rad instead of cold air, the best thing to do is to see if you can get some slim line fans to fit, especially designed for your purpose

zia

depends weather they suck :lol: or blow? :wink: if moving in front of rad you want blow

zia

Shaun

:D Coxie mate,i've seen it on here somewhere mate,think it was in members 'R's,so they will fit on the front of the rad,then just reverse the polarity,i.e swap the wires,so the fans will run in reverse and then blow instead of suck :wink:

A

AJ4

remember that your fans are not on most of the time, so if you put them in front of the rad they will cause an obstruction to the airflow.... :shock:

Can't you just fit one on one side only ? I've heard a few people do this with no problems.

Shaun

Ross said:
Can't you just fit one on one side only ? I've heard a few people do this with no problems.
Funny you should say that Ross,i've got a Radtech Radiator on mine,and it only has one fan on it :!: It's been on for about 5 month's now and no problems,its not on any more than normal either :D

coxie

might try just one...but to clarify can you actually just swap the wires so the polarity is different therefore running them the oposite way. :? :?:

i know edds car has front mounted fans as i know the lad who owned it before him and saw it qutie a bit. 8)

dont really want to buy new fans as they are only about three months old and cars been off road most of that time. :roll:

sypher

yeah its just a motor as long as when its installed you want to move air from outside the car to in ( bring cold(er) air through the rad, Icooler,condensor )

youngsyp

Ross said:
remember that your fans are not on most of the time, so if you put them in front of the rad they will cause an obstruction to the airflow.... :shock:

Don't think that this will be the case. As the car is moving, there will be a certain amount of air pressure on the fan blades, if they are mounted on the front of the rad. The faster you are going, the higher the air pressure. This air pressure will force the blades of the fan to turn (dependant on air pressure and how 'free' the fan blades are). This will in turn force air through the rad. It will be like having the fan on, to a certain degree, all the time. You could also help airflow by cutting some of the fan/finger protector, plastic mesh stuff away. :wink:
I was thinking about doing something similar for the top mount but, can't find a fan with a low enough profile to fit between it and the bonnet.