rad

beanyv6

hello my rad is leaking out of the top where the plastic bit meets the metal bit and building up pressure and bubbling over the top of the rad lid but its not overheating so it cant b head gaskit can it?can any1 help me please

T

Trent

:noidea: not much help, but i just wanted to use this smiley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chiffs

think its a common prob, fix is a new rad or a second hand one im sorry to say as it the end tank thats had its best.

Are you using a higher than standard rad cap, this i think is known to cause the problem

T

Trent

i use an all ally koyo one the core is about 4 times thicker than standard, and its fantastic quality.:thumbsup:

stumo

Is the Koyo std size?

I'm after a rad to fit with my Norris FM, i'll go see Radtec soon i guess.

stumo

Dooie, how much shorter is your Radtec rad than a std one?
Do you think the radtec will fit with a NorrisFM? I've spoken to Radtec and if it won't they can make me a custon but it's obvoiusly more expensive!

Dooie Pop Pop

Dooie Pop Pop said:
you need a rad about 60-65mm shorted than the oe one if that helps.
:thumbsup: iirc its 60mm shorter but an extra 5 or 10mm would be handy as the ic outlets are near on touching the rad.

i also inverted the rubber rad holders at the bottom, cutting the wide disk area off gets em in snugly;-)

antgtir

Stu / beanyv6,

Rob (aka Thunder God lol) gave this link in another radiator query.

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=89

Pete also sells standard radiators for a good price, i personally would go for a new item rather than going for second hand as you will only end up getting a 12 year old rad min unless someone is uprating from a standard design after a small period of ownership.

Think the thicker rads give you up to 30% more cooling not sure on cost though. Seems like the hotter weather is starting to have an effect on rads at the mo as this is probably the 4th rad related thread started:shock: in probably as many weeks.

Ant.

stumo

Cheers ant but that will be a direct copy/fit of the standard rad, i need a shorter rad because of my Norris front mount. Dooie has a Radtec FMIC/rad setup where the rad is shorter (height wise) than std.

They (radtec) seem to be very good on price too.

antgtir

Dooie Pop Pop said:
clicky

should give you a perspective on rad size;-)
Am i seeing that right, the actual cooling core of the rad is the same as standard (not sure on thickness) but the plastic top section on a standard rad is taken away from this uprated rad? I.e. thats where the saving is?

No other mods required Stu? Looks a good quality rad.

Ant.

Dooie Pop Pop

its a completely different rad to standard mate as its a lot thicker. if you take a tape measure to the oe core and post it up i' ll measure mine up for comparison;-)

tbh i thought the fan would give away how tall it is. i did have to chop the fan a little but yeah its a direct fit.

did i mention my rad was made by specR using a radtech core? thats why its a direct fit;-)lol

it shouldn' t be hard to get the pins welded on if they dont come with them but if radtech sell oe rads for the R then i cant see why it wouldn' t have them...

stumo said:
Thanks for that stu:thumbsup:

(i don't believe what thay say about you :shock: )
i dont let it worry me mate, its all true anyway...except for the beastiality bits:shock::lol:

Last edited:

stumo

Ahh (kicks myself in the head), didn't look too hard at the picture and didn't spot the std fan as that setup looks like the radtech one.