rad fans not turning off!!

gtirpower

the rad fans are always on, even when the car is switched off and the key is out, the fans will still be running until the battery dies. the fan switch relay on the left side of the engine were makes a clicking noise and the fans cuts on and off and then stay on.

i have taken the switch out to see if they stop and they dont i have checked all the wires from and to the fans and all seems ok.

anyone got any idea what else i should look for or do??

thanks

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Disconnect the wiring at the fan. If that don't stop them nothing will.

Not sure how they're running with the relay out as that's where the power comes from.

gtirpower

Disconnect the wiring at the fan. If that don't stop them nothing will.

Not sure how they're running with the relay out as that's where the power comes from.
yh i know that is what i was thinking how can they still be running with relays out, the only thing that stops them is when i remove the terminal from the battery as soon as i touch the terminal the fans kick in straight away.

Geo3

Fans must be getting sort to positive then? Have you done any work to car since this started???

gtirpower

Surely you'd need the ignition on for that? If they're on as long as there's charge in the battery it has to be somewhere else doesn't it?

yhh thats true. its as soon as i touch the terminal with battery the fans kick in straight away.

stumo

the fans are controlled by the ecu and that gets it's signal from the temp sensor (the one with a proper plug on the top)