Rad fan

B

boozyboo

hello. does any one know when the radiator fan kicks in. my mate

just took his R for a blitz and it never come on. and aparently when he drives normally it

dont come on. it dont help that his temp gauge dont work.:der: but i dont seem to over

heat. any help or old threads would be apreciated. cheers guys

Braveheart

This may not answer your question fully but will give you a good idea how the cooling system works... :lol: ;-) :

http://www.gtiroc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30467&highlight=fan+temp

I have to stop by the nearest petrol station tomorrow to borrow a small advertisement board to stuff down the front of my Rad (if there's any room left) before I run out of fuel or freeze my nuts off. Newly fitted Koyo 53mm (-3mm) alloy rad ;-) is very cooling.
Typical... remove your a/c then freeze to deeeefff. :doh: :lol:

B

boozyboo

haha. is the board to stop the wind hitting rad then.
i got a front mount blocking mine:thumbsup:

Probly the reason it blow up:x

so, have i got this right. in normal driving situation the thermastat will not open, does this

mean theres no circulation in the rad. and the rad fans, really only come on after hard

running, on my old clio, i had the fan on a seperate switch so when i was hammering it it

stayed on. the temp stayed a notch below half way. where as before it stayed just over.

thats a great help cheers guys,

Braveheart

boozyboo said:
haha. is the board to stop the wind hitting rad then.
i got a front mount blocking mine:thumbsup:

Probly the reason it blow up:x

so, have i got this right. in normal driving situation the thermastat will not open, does this

mean theres no circulation in the rad. and the rad fans, really only come on after hard

running, on my old clio, i had the fan on a seperate switch so when i was hammering it it

stayed on. the temp stayed a notch below half way. where as before it stayed just over.

thats a great help cheers guys,
Yes... it's always something to consider... :snow: . (cooling)
What about a motor driven curtain in front of the alloy rad that's driven up and down, signaled from ECU.:rockon:

geoff pine

No The stat stays shut traping the water in the block till it reache's 76/degrees then starts to open and let the water circulate through the rad. When the water temp reache's 95 the fans come on .The fans should not come on under normal driving as the air moving through the rad is keeping the temp under control. Crawling traffic or sitting in traffic jams will bring on the fans.