Race batterys

B

Beachsleeper

I know there are loads of threads about batterys, putting them in the boot weight saving. Ive been looking at running with a race battery, a red top 25. As i see it it has pros and cons, Pros, they are small and light. cons, they dont like the cold and not good if you have a alarm, as most of us do. Do any of you run with a race battery?

stumo

They are a pain in the ass as they're not a "fit and forget" like a normal battery, you need to keep them charged up, you're best not running things like hifi, amps etc, running an alarm off them is a no-no too.

A red top 25 is only 16amp/hr, a "normal" R battery (the small terminal) is about 45amp/hr.

You're also best buying the dedicated battery charger as a normal one can knacker them .

B

Beachsleeper

stumo said:
They are a pain in the ass as they're not a "fit and forget" like a normal battery, you need to keep them charged up, you're best not running things like hifi, amps etc, running an alarm off them is a no-no too.

A red top 25 is only 16amp/hr, a "normal" R battery (the small terminal) is about 45amp/hr.

You're also best buying the dedicated battery charger as a normal one can knacker them .
This is what i was thinking, My R is only used at weekends, so the battery would be taken out in the week. Plus i have a Gel charger for charging the batt. Would the battery be ok for weekend use.

J

jpward

Beachsleeper said:
This is what i was thinking, My R is only used at weekends, so the battery would be taken out in the week. Plus i have a Gel charger for charging the batt. Would the battery be ok for weekend use.
It would work without taking it out if you had a optimate charger with permi atachment rings and then just plug in and leave on the charger, that will keep it topped up but for the hastle and cost of both the battery and the charger if you dont have one already then it is not worth it especially if you see winter temps like me when normal batteries run out off puff!

:snow:

B

Beachsleeper

jpward said:
It would work without taking it out if you had a optimate charger with permi atachment rings and then just plug in and leave on the charger, that will keep it topped up but for the hastle and cost of both the battery and the charger if you dont have one already then it is not worth it especially if you see winter temps like me when normal batteries run out off puff!

:snow:
Would the Race battery, be charged with the car on nomal use? As the R isnt used in the week the batt would be taken out and put on the Gel charger so the cold weather should not be a prob.

J

jpward

Beachsleeper said:
Would the Race battery, be charged with the car on nomal use? As the R isnt used in the week the batt would be taken out and put on the Gel charger so the cold weather should not be a prob.
Yes of course it would be charged normally the point Stumo highlighted was the fact the amp hours or storage capacity of the battery is a lot less than the normal one so would not last as long between either engine running or standing especially with alarms and things that drain the battery when power is off.

You can take it out and wack it on the charger yes but seams a lot of hastle every weekend to take of the charger put in car then put the clamps on, have a bit of fun then, clamps off battery out put on the charger bla bla ........... :lol:

IF you were gaining something as say a race/drag car would where every gm counts then yes i could live with that but your the one who will be standing in the rain with a 10mm spanner cursing :p

donpulsar

South Yorkshire Regional Rep
...and dont forget everytime you disconnect the battery for longer than 1 hour (or is it 30 mins ?) the ECU resets itself, so everytime you go out in it you'll have to reset it...not that theres a lot too it but just summat to bear in mind (altho' a lot of ozzies regularly reset their ECUs to squueeze the best performance out of their imports).

P

pulsarboby

why would you have to reset ecu? and how do you do that exactly??

true the ecu will erase stored codes but thats all it does

stumo

bobby, you have to press the wiper stalk, left indicator, right indicator, press brake pedal six times, left indicator, heated rear window on, HRW off, press brake 4 times, slam drivers door m3 times.

ECU is now reset.

P

pulsarboby

think thats wrong stuey lol
what about opening and closing the rear hatch!!! you forgot that didnt you! half a dozen times after the rest of the sequence shoul see it reset even better i would have thought.
i hope im right as i dont want to burn my ecu circuitry out, that would be a disaster

B

Beachsleeper

Im having a few probs. I have a few mates with Poos. that are running redtops. The scoobs are only used at weekends and the batterys are left on all week, But the guys have no probs with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jpward

Beachsleeper said:
Im having a few probs. I have a few mates with Poos. that are running redtops. The scoobs are only used at weekends and the batterys are left on all week, But the guys have no probs with them.
Are you puting yours on a top up charger?

O

Odin

So why are you so keen on this battery then ?, I can't see a practical reason so you must just want the perceived pub bragging rights or something.....:der:

I think you're being a c0ck :roll: , Their is no performance advantage to be gained from one of these battery's unless you are going racing for real, To the average R owner who does the odd track day and drag race this battery wont make a blind bit of difference apart from maybe see you broken down with a flat battery somewhere.

Rob

B

Beachsleeper

Odin said:
So why are you so keen on this battery then ?, I can't see a practical reason so you must just want the perceived pub bragging rights or something.....:der:

I think you're being a c0ck :roll: , Their is no performance advantage to be gained from one of these battery's unless you are going racing for real, To the average R owner who does the odd track day and drag race this battery wont make a blind bit of difference apart from maybe see you broken down with a flat battery somewhere.

Rob
A co0k I maybe. :lol: But only a fool would say no, As i was givin two of them new.

Last edited by a moderator:

Braveheart

Beachsleeper said:
A co0k I maybe. :lol: But only a fool would say no, As i was givin two of them new.
Just as well because you will need them both....:doh:
One for week one and the other for week two....:lol:

B

Beachsleeper

Well it looks like something else for Ebay, Shame they are bloody small for what they are.