R is running like a pig!

A

Anonymous

Hi guys,

I have a problem at the moment that comes and goes, although at the
moment it is doing it virtually all the time. Whilst the car is idleing it will speed up and slow down anywhere between 1000 rpm and 2000 rpm, as well as spluttering occasionally. Whilst driving it accelerates smoothly but when cruising it jerks and will hessitate. But then sometimes it will come good . . . go figure. :roll:

I noticed that the boost gauge reads funny sometimes - whilst accelerating i can hear the turbo and the blow off valve, but according to the gauge it is still reading under 0. (IE a vacuum.) Whilst idleling the guage reads around 20 or a little more in the vacuum range. This type of behaviour shows on both the original gauge and the aftermarket one on the dash.

I have not had much of a chance to have a good look at the problem but have changed the spark plugs and made sure the leads are on tight but thats all so far.

I have limited knowledge of how it all works so if anyone could point me in the right direction as to what to check it would be a great start. I have a feeling it might be something to do with the vacuum or air intake, or something that controls the vacuum. If you need me to be more precise let me know.

Any information is appreciated.

Cheers,
Kev.
:D

A

Anonymous

Will try tommorrow time permitting and let you know if i come up with anything.

Kev.

T

Tart

cool, one last thing, make sure the MAF sensor is plugged in properly. Ive heard that bugger causing probs like this.

P

PF

Sounds exactly like mine a few months back. Dirty AFM was the problem. Quick clean and it was as good as new. :wink:

T

Tart

PF, ur in St Albans???? How come Ive never seen u at any of our South Mimms meets???

A

Anonymous

Thanx guys, i will get a chance to check everything over on Sat. I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the AAC getting stuck. I will give it a clean as well if i can find it lol.

Will also check O2 sesnor, as well as all hoses for wear or cracks.

Cheers,
Kev.

A

Anonymous

OK i just did an ECU check and it came up all clear - 55. I also had a quick look at the MAF and vacuum hoses, although i will have a thorough look on the weekend.

Funnily enough i started the car and it idled perfectly! :? Only time will tell if i have touched on the problem.

I have also heard that the O2 sensor might also cause these symptoms as the ECU changes from open to closed mode. I will test this too.

Kev.

P

PF

Because its always on a Sunday and the money at work for doing Sundays is too good to turn down :cry:

Plus, Im saving up to go travelling around the world so I have pretty much been living at work for the summer. I fly out 2nd November and will be gone for eight months so every £ is crucial.

So in conclusion, I have no life but I own a Gti-R so that kinda goes with the flow I suppose :D