Quickie about OE and MSD coils

skiddusmarkus

I have an msd 6a box and coil to go on.I think my standard coil is shagged.I seem to remember some thread saying that below about 3k rpm you will mostly be uing the OE coil and above that the msd is better.I have searched but there is so much on this subject that finding 1 sentance about it will take me all day.
So, my question is should I also replace my shagged coil as well as fitting the new setup or is it a waste ot time and money?

Trip

What coil have you got ?

When installing both MSD 6A and MSD COIL, you will be replacing the standard coil.
The MSD 6A will spark twice below 3Krpm.
You cannot do the timing using the MSD system. You will need to temporary go back to standard.

vpulsar

I just fitted my MSD 6A box and proper MSD coil not the Micky mouse one skiddus has lol, I never bothered with it on the pulsar because the standard set up coped very well with 2 bar of boost so didn't see the point really.

Looks nice on my datsun though lol.

John

skiddusmarkus

When I bought mine many moons ago that was the one I got recommended.Things have moved on a bit since then.Besides, I have higher compression than yours had plus will be running water injection, both of which make it harder to get a good spark.

Edited to add, have you seen how much UK suppliers want for the 6a boxes now?I have seen them up for £300!

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
I run a Mallory system which is pretty similar to the MSD and never had a problem setting the timing. Match your coil to the amp would be my recommendation. The benefit of the amp and coil is you can run bigger plug gaps. If you do this on a mini OE coil I bet you will burn it out.

skiddusmarkus

Yeah I would like to run bigger gaps as I want to have 2 maps, one for pootling around at 10psi with something approaching normal fuel economy and one for fun.I'm an old codger now and my daily driver is a diesel that averages 50mpg and does about 60 mpg on a run so going back to 15-20mpg average is a bitter pill to swallow.

I know I am capable of getting good mpg( I averaged 36mpg in my old clio 172m 50mpg on a run)and even teach the drivers at work how to do it so I want my car to be able to do the same.Sort of.

Edited to add I don't expect 36mpg, but I'd like to be able to get into he 30s on a run.

Last edited:

vpulsar

I know I am capable of getting good mpg( I averaged 36mpg in my old clio 172m 50mpg on a run)and even teach the drivers at work how to do it so I want my car to be able to do the same.Sort of.

Edited to add I don't expect 36mpg, but I'd like to be able to get into he 30s on a run.
I managed 40mpg with over 500 bhp on long trips down south, I just used no boost and normal unleaded ;-), But I could get it down to less than 5 mpg at full boost :shock::twisted:.

I know what you mean about the MSD 6A box, I paid about a £100 delivered for mine 3 years ago, I just never got around to using it until now, My timing wasn't a problem either.

John