Quick question RE bleed valves etc.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
On the weekend I thought I'd take out all the plumbing for my broken HKS EVC III. Whilst I was doing it, I thought I'd connect the bleed port on my bleed valve back to the induction piping.

Here's where it gets odd; whereas I was getting 1.0 bar of boost on Friday, I'm now getting 0.5 bar. - Does that sound right? Do I need to open the valve up more if I'm got the boost bleeding back in front of the turbo?
Alternatively, is there a chance I've managed to break my boost gauge? I would have thought it either worked, or it didn't... and it doesn't feel like 1 bar, so I think the gauge is ok.

Obviously I can wind the valve out a bit more, but I just wanted to check that it makes sense to do that, and that I haven't broken something.
I'm not sure that I have a good reputation for "fixing" things myself. :doh:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oh... so that not what the port on top of the inlet hose is then.
(What is it for? I was only using it because I thought that's where the factory solenoid bled the boost off to.)

I do vaguely remember that but tbh the standard solenoid got ditched ages ago and that port blocked off.
It might well be for the standard solenoid but I the bleed valve would need to be vented to atmosphere.

stumo

George, bleed valves are crap.

Get yourself a dawes device and also ditch using the solenoid, you don't need to use it.

Set the pressure you want on the dawes before fitting it OR set it on the car but start low and work up to what you want.

Use the hose that comes off the end of the plenum, plug the straight connector of the dawes into that, connect the elbow of the dawes to the actuator.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'll change it to a dawes device eventually, but for now the bleed valve is working and I haven't seen any spikes. I'm not using the solenoid (I don't even have one); I just thought that I might as well connect the bleed port back to the spiggot where the solenoid would have been connected. - So I've got it going from the plenum, to my bleed valve, to my wastegate actuator with a third hose going back to the intake hose.

What I can't get my head around is that before I reconnected that bleed line, it was giving me 1 bar each time... and now it doesn't. Maybe the port is actually blocked and I've just succeeded in blocking my bleed valve too. I was just wondering if anyone else had connected it up like that, and if they had observed the same thing.

shroom

I had it like that, could not get it working full stop mate did same as that just wouldnt adjust it, was a red ebay job, after a few tries and nearly shitting myself when a boost pipe split when I went out to test it I gave up with it

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Oh - well in that case I'll just put it back like it was before and vent to the atmosphere. ;-)
I never had a problem until I tried to get clever. :doh:
(Actually I had the length of hose I'd pulled off the EVC and thought I could use it for something else.)

shroom

yer for such a simple thing it can be quiet anoying realy, I conected the one end to the plenum and then down to the actuator but it just would not control it, it was with the car when I brought it so I though I might try it just to see if I can get 1 bar,

If the pipe connecting it back to the intake is clogged up then you will get 0.5 bar boost (standard actuator setting). Its similar to the standard vaccume pipe going to the re-circ valve... that always cloggs up and then your recirculating valve doesn't open (resulting in the cooool turbo chatter noise).
If it gives you 1bar without the pipe, then 0.5 with the pipe..... then it's obviously the pipe blocked??
As standard the factory boost solanoid bleeds back to the air intake. It certainly shouldn't restrict the flow, as its under a vacume (turbo sucking in loads of air).

Last edited:

darkyGTI-R

I had it like that, could not get it working full stop mate did same as that just wouldnt adjust it, was a red ebay job, after a few tries and nearly shitting myself when a boost pipe split when I went out to test it I gave up with it
My Ebay red jobby lol works just fine at 1.1bar and no spiking!
Guess i'm one of the lucky ones?:thumbsup:

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Well, I took that hose back off the bleed port and it's back to 1 bar this morning... so I'll just leave it off.