Question about acceleration when cold

vizi0n

Hey there,

I know it's not "a good thing" to push the car hard when it's not warmed up yet but I find it a bit weird when it does the following:

I start the car, go on the street, 1-2-3 up to 55km/h, stop at the light. Turns green, I push it hard and in 1st gear it accelerates then all of a sudden its like if there was no combustion and no more acceleration until I lift my foot a bit .... kinda like a couple rotations of the crankshaft with no spark ... or maybe no fuel??

when the engine has warmed up this type of thing never happens (went to the drag strip and dropping at 6000rpm was no problem at all for the 12 passes I've done)

what do I need ... bigger fuel pump? :)

O

Odin

My old R used to do the same thing when it was cold, I just put it down to the ECU cutting in to stop you doing any damage, But I'm probably wrong as I don't have much experience with the standard ECU.

I always thought it was a good thing though as it stopped me getting carried away until the car was warm enough, So I never had it checked out.

Rob

C

CHRIS_2010

mine did that,but later found out my oil breather tank thingy fell over onto its side,

abyss

I have the same i would worry about it along as it runs fine when it is hot, its the same with honda's when the car is cold you dont here the vtec kick in.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
vizi0n said:
Hey there,

I know it's not "a good thing" to push the car hard when it's not warmed up yet but I find it a bit weird when it does the following:

I start the car, go on the street, 1-2-3 up to 55km/h, stop at the light. Turns green, I push it hard and in 1st gear it accelerates then all of a sudden its like if there was no combustion and no more acceleration until I lift my foot a bit

If you know.........then why are you doing it????

According to the above, you're probably driving the car less than 2mins or so and then trying to boot it? Don't do it.

Mine does the same at about 4-4500rpm when stone cold. It doesn't like being booted when stone cold so I don't. If I give mine 5mins or so, it seems fine (even tho that is still a cold engine in reality.)
My last turbo car did pretty much the same, so either it's a built in safety feature or the fuel isn't able to burn properly for what ever reason and it's cutting out. I know any N/A car I've driven can be booted from stone cold no problems.

oldaneal

i heard that the cars run even more advanced when there cold so is probably the ecu panicing, quick answer dont do it

vizi0n

Fast Guy said:
If you know.........then why are you doing it????
well sometimes you have no choice and you have to push it a bit! It happened to me 3-4 times last summer, its not like I'm doing it all the time.

I was just wondering if its a safety measure or if it was a problem with something under the bonnet

vizi0n

i am getting onto the highway and god knows you have to arrive at 150km/h when you get to the merging point :)