Quaife gearsets

A

Anonymous

as some of you will be aware,i had my front diff and main shaft disintegrate in feb :cry: .upshot is,i renewed every bearing in the box,front diff,gear linkage and have now gone to a twin plate clutch.

i don`t know which bit made the difference,or whether it was a cumulative effect but,the gear shift is now so positive and accurate that i was wondering if anyone who has fitted the quaife gearsets has gone to the trouble/expense of renewing the linkage/bearings and had the same effect :?:

would it be better when people are asking about quaife gearsets for us to recommend changing the bearings and linkage as well as the gearset itself taking into account the extra expense this will incur :?:

A

Anonymous

Boooooost said:
Out of interest how much did the g/box cost?
clutch,flywheel and bearing were £1200.the diff,bearings and main shaft were £1720 plus vat.there is also a fair bit of labour to be finalised @ approx £50 an hour.the gearset,which had no damage whatsoever,can be had for anything between £1700-£2200 depending on where you buy it from :shock:

O

Odin

oap-r said:
Boooooost said:
clutch,flywheel and bearing were £1200.the diff,bearings and main shaft were £1720 plus vat.there is also a fair bit of labour to be finalised @ approx £50 an hour.the gearset,which had no damage whatsoever,can be had for anything between £1700-£2200 depending on where you buy it from :shock:
Thats a f*ck load of cash mate :shock: I just had my trans box and
my quaife rebuilt with new bearing and an oil cooler inlet/outlet added
for £665 delivered back to me at burnie's, But you did have a new clutch
and shaft I suppose it all adds up, I have Ivans uprated linkage bushes
to go on as well I also had his uprated seletor fork fitted as well :wink: .

I'm trying out the spec clutch from jgy as it was only £175 and is ratted
at 460lb's :shock: have to see what it's like :?: .

rob

kyepan

gtir303 has changed pretty much everything in his box when his quaife bits went in.. the list from memory was.. all bearings, selector forks.. etc.. pm him to ask.. as he has been through a couple of boxes so should be able to confirm your positive shift.. thingy.

Nad

oap-r said:
Boooooost said:
the diff,bearings and main shaft were £1720 plus vat.
Did u just replace the diff bearings or was that a whole new diff?? Also the gear link, what does that conisist of and what did u replace??

Ta

Nad

A

Anonymous

Nad said:
Did u just replace the diff bearings or was that a whole new diff?? Also the gear link, what does that conisist of and what did u replace??
it was the diff,diff bearings,main shaft and every bearing within the gearcase as when the diff lost all the teeth,the mechanics were worried that all the fragments of metal might have damaged the bearings.better to be safe than sorry later.

the gear linkage is a couple of rods on the side of the box that you can`t get to with the box fitted.i had a problem going into 3rd where instead of going straight into 3rd i had to move slightly to the right.

once all that was done,it felt as if it had a ferrari open gate,so to speak :wink:

Nad

Yeah we had to shim my gear linkage just outside the box as it was worn. This may well be a cause of busted gearboxes as well as it wont be a clean shift. How comes u didnt buy the Nismo front diff??

Nad

A

Anonymous

Nad said:
How comes u didnt buy the Nismo front diff??
cause they wanted stupid money for a used diff,postage from oz and they couldn`t even tell me the torque rating :evil:

Nad

oap-r said:
Nad said:
How comes u didnt buy the Nismo front diff??
cause they wanted stupid money for a used diff,postage from oz and they couldn`t even tell me the torque rating :evil:
:lol: I think they may have been the same ones I was looking at, they had a whole set but bloody expensive, was only really interested in the centre diff.