putting engine back together with instant gasket

andy gtir black

i have taken me engine out to reseal the timing chain cover and sump pan iam wondering if anyone in central Scotland knows of a good place to take the engine to get this done as i done it myself the last time and it leaked oil bad and iam not wanting too do it again and put the engine back in and it still bloody leaks again

Fusion Ed

Best bet with these sealants is to let them go off for 15 mins before you bolt them up. And don't over tighten them either.

rx jamie

i had this problem 5 times in a row,and it is an absolute nightmare, but all those times the engine was in situ in the bay. the sixth time i lost my temper and i took the engine out and totally drained it of oil, and used carb cleaner to clean and degrease the surfaces. then as ed mentioned i let the sealant cure for a while then bolted it up. then left it sit for 48 hours without any oil in. its spot on now.

vss irvine

as above,
clean all the surfaces.
rub them with a bit of scotch bright
i use stuff from work thats for marine diesel engines, but i would use hermatite (black). (if you've not got a truck factors handy!)

then just put it on both contact areas and let it set, or go tacky. bolt up and leave for 12 -24 hours to set.

after that just give them a 'nip' up before filling with fluids