Pulsar Short Shifter.

scottyd

Is it worth buying a short shifter for my car? are they any good?
any reccomendations or are they not worth it?

thanks,
Scott

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
There not bad - mine came with a Tomei kit, it feels smooth and direct.

Are they worth it? As I’ve not having the chance to "feel" the difference between OEM shifters its hard to say, but I like the feel from mine, so that’s a yes from me!
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

scottyd

i can gear change quite well, so will this be of little benefit to me?

is it a product for the inept?:lol:

its just that i may be able to get one for cheap, dunno if i should bother, might not bother, infact i'm not going to bother.....................unless anyone has anymore opinions?

Adam L

it's an unnecasary mod, if you can shift well and back you have no need, which needs minible experience

all it's going to be is a shorter gear stick, it's hardly worth it

Trondelond

I've got a civic with almost the opposite of a shortshifter - from fastline performance. It's a _longer_ shifter, to move the knob closer to the steering wheel. Are there any similar products available to the R?

This is really a great mod, helps you keep both hands on the wheel :D Would be nice to have on the R as well.

Trondelond

Seems to me that google filters out any searches for the pulsar/sunny, since there are so few hits ;)

That shifter is a lovely piece of kit, it takes a little bit of getting used to (as will all shifters), since it was so close to the steering wheel that I hit it with the back of my hand when I was going for it. Didn't have time to open the hand :)
But when you're used to it, it's great. Perhaps more of a "driver's mod".

mattygti-r

The tomei unit is a nice fit on the GTI-R

just dont buy a mickymouse one, few instances of them snapping whilst driving

ive a MINES kit on the GT-R feels alot nicer than the stock shift

shame IKEYA FORMULA dont do one for those pulsars doing drag events

P

pulsarboby

take my advise and DO NOT fit one, you will only succeed in doing your box in quicker through aggressive gear changes and missing gears!
this led to the demise of my box on track, and im not the first and wont be the last.
standard throw is very good anyway, so theres no need to fit one.

Trondelond

The throw on that "longshifter" is the same as standard (I'm talking about in the civic now), I'd just like the knob to be closer to the steeringwheel :)
And I do like the throw of the R, can't see why I'd want to change that, it's close enough already.

Last edited:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Avoid the cheaper chort shifters if you do get one. There's some crap out there that tends to snap in half.

The B&M ones seem to be OK, but they ain't cheap.

O

Odin

I like my B&M shifter, Its a bit stiff and notchy but I like that myself and its probably more to do with all the new poly bushes, Rather than the shifter it's self.

Rob

gtirx2

I just moved the ball on the bottom of my standed shifter up higher on the shaft made a small improvement in the throw.