problem!

Alexpie

hi noticed a slight blow in my exhaust manifold yesterday, went to drive the car it started fine as normal pulled off was ok for a second or two, then i had a big backfire and the car stalled tried starting again and it was idling very lumpy and kept cutting out, further inspection it had blown one of the intercooler pipes off aswell, so i re attatched that properly and it still ran the same if a bit worse, it could drive but would go 40mph max and wouldnt go above 1500rpm before it would just sort of misfire. engine and oil temps and oil pressure was normal and no engine warning lights apart from the abs one(as its removed). im no expert by all means so i thought id ask, only thing i could think of is that the hole in the manifold got blown bigger and there is no manifold pressure atall which is making it run like that as there is no other knocks or bangs and everything else seems fine. any ideas would be very much appreciated as i was out till quarter to 1 this morning waiting for a flatbed!!! and i miss it already haha!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Where is the exhaust leaking; between the head and the manifold from the gasket, or somewhere else?

I think you need to do a fault code check (and maybe clear the fault if it's registered one) because it sounds like it's in limp mode. - I'm just wondering if the exhaust leak is so bad that the turbo doesn't spin at all... which would mean that it's a dirty-great blockage in your intake system (rather than forcing air through it).

If you're not showing any faults, I'd get that leak fixed and see if the problem is solved; even muffler repair putty might do the trick. It's not a permanent solution though.

Alexpie

it seems to be from where the manifold joins the turbo? as i said im no expert havent had the car long, how do i do a fault code check is there a thread i can read about this? i got it towed to my mates garage but as its bank holiday he wont be having a look until tommorow just wanted to get some ideas so weve got something to go on

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Fault code procedure: clicky

Sounds like the gasket has blown and needs to be replaced. - Cost about £8 to replace, but it's a pain to get at without taking the manifold off the engine.

vss irvine

first thing to do is check the turbo spins freely, maybe a piece of gasket has gone through the turbine?

Alexpie

Ok thanks for the input! Turbo sounded like it was spinning freely when I tried to move it, sounded like it was spinning up too much which is partly why I called the lorry didn't want to cause too much damage. Will be having a look tommorow

Alexpie

so turns out what had happened..
all 4 bolts holding turbo to manifold were loose, and one was missing, 1 manifold stud was missing and 4 others loose and one of the downpipe bolts was broken, only had the car a month or so, so reckon it had been tinkered with before i got it and the bolts just gave up, should have car back tommorow or thursday, cant wait!

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Sounds like someone else has had a bash at taking the turbo off (maybe to swap it for a good one before they could sell it?) and sheared the studs in the process; thought "sod it" and just put it back on with whatever was left... and didn't do it up tight enough, so it worked loose.

Sounds like a pain in the arse, but it could have been worse; manifold studs are cheaper than turbos!

Tim

The reason the manifold to turbo bolts were loose is that the gasket has gone, it'll be same for the turbo elbow.

Alexpie

Yeah the gaskets have been replaced now, glad it wasn't something too drastic, so hopefully should be at some events soon!