Problem with the boost

Electric

I have changed the stock turbo with an new used stock turbo
I'm driving with 1.1 inn pressure, but it won't get more than 0.3
Any suggestion about what the problem can be ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
No boost controller; you've connected the wastegate directly to the boost source?

Electric

I have apexi boost controller. all the pipes i good, no hose is off, so im wondering about if it could be the wastegate that is something wrong with

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Not enough much pre-load when you put the actuator on? As a result the wastegate is stuck partially open?

Electric

I feel a little bit idiot about asking this question, but what is the actuator ? Im wondering about that you say about the wastegate, but how can I fix that ? buy a new one ?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The actuator is the bit attached to the boost line; it opens the wastegate at the set pressure (usually 0.5 bar for a standard unit). - Because it has a spring and a diaphragm in it, it's possible to install it with too much tension (or too little maybe) which results in the wastegate not shutting... and then you can't build any boost.

It's a theory, I'm no expert.

P

pulsarboby

before you fitted the turbo did you check for cracks around the wastegate penny?
most t28s have some small cracks but if they extend past the wastegate closure then the turbo will not hold boost as the cracks enlarge when the turbo is hot.
unfortunately if you havent checked then the only way to check this is by removing the whole turbo again to see.
also if you have an exhaust leak before the turbo ie ex manifold then that will mess up the spooling also

Braveheart

Hopefully your turbo is free spinning with no drag... if the blades can't spin freely it may not spool up properly.
To set the actuator up properly to the wastegate, set to turnbuckle hole on the actuator arm so there is around half the dia of the hole (on the rod end on) to pull over the waste gate! i.e. the actuator arm is shorter and need to be pulled approx 2mm onto wastegate pin. Hope that makes sense.

Electric

Problem solved, the actuator arm was loose from the turbo, so I put the back on place and secured it properly and then it was all good;)
Thanks for the help btw :)

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
The actuator is the bit attached to the boost line; it opens the wastegate at the set pressure (usually 0.5 bar for a standard unit). - Because it has a spring and a diaphragm in it, it's possible to install it with too much tension (or too little maybe) which results in the wastegate not shutting... and then you can't build any boost.

It's a theory, I'm no expert.
Sounds like a winner ;-)