Problem with front wishbone rear mounting nut !

youngsyp

Guys,

I really hope someone can give me some guidance on this one. Just for some background.

I installed an anti lift kit about this time last year. When I removed the front n/s wishbone rear bolt, I noticed some dobbin had cross threaded it at a previous time. I then proceeded to get a tap to attempt to clean up the threads but, to no avail. The bold just pulled through the captive nut (the one inside the car body somewhere). So, I took it to a well known tuner in Maldon, Essex to get it fixed. With the usual aggro that goes with this place, they eventually told me they tapped it and helicoiled it.
Anyway, since then, there has been an annoying 'thump' from that general direction and it looks like the 'U' bracket isn't pulled tight into the chassis. Also, there is odd tyre wear from that side and the handling always seems stronger when turning the other way i.e. load on the good side.
What I want advice on is how I fix it once and for all. I guess the options are tap the nut out to the next size. Will there be enough 'meat' on the nut to do this ? or cut a square out of the floor inside the car to gain access and replace the nut for a new one. Can this be done ? Then weld a plate over to cover the hole. I favour the latter as it seems the 'best' way to me and no-one will ever see the hole mad as it will be under ther sound deadening and carpet !

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you tried tightening the nut up?
I'd certainly try and get a new nut fitted if possible, but I doubt this will be easy.
Retapping and helicoiling might not work again if it's failed this time.

youngsyp

I'm gonna buy an allen key tonight and give it ago. I'm new to helicoiling so, don't really know the ins and outs ! Will taking the bolt out of the helicoiled nut damage the helicoil or, will it behave like a 'normal' threaded nut ?

How effective is a helicoiling a nut though and will it be able to take that sort of load I.e. 80 odd ft/lbs of torque I think ?

I wouldn't re-helicoil it either. I'd attempt to take it out to the next size (original is m14x 1.25 I believe) and tap the thread into the nut itself. What I am concerned about is the amount of material on the nut, left after this work. Again, will it be able to take the torquing ?

Cheers

Paul

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
youngsyp said:
How effective is a helicoiling a nut though and will it be able to take that sort of load I.e. 80 odd ft/lbs of torque I think ?
Paul
Well, it's a recognised form of repair, even on aircraft, so I'd like to think it's upto the job. (but you never know :? )
I believe the helicoil has a notch or something in it to hold it in place so it should act like a normal thread and stay in place while the nut comes out.

youngsyp

Fast Guy said:
You don't realy want an answer do you :wink:
Believe me, I know exactly what could go wrong as. I answered that question when I originally tried to tap and clean up the threads !!

I just read, on an engineering site, that a helicoiled thread, is "mechanically superior" to the original thread. I'd just better keep my fingers crossed now and go steady with the tightening !!

Cheers

Paul

Keira

i have the same thing on the black car, i couldn't use 1 of the bolts that came with the whitline antil lift kit as it already had some f o o k off monster bolt in there, its got a 24 mm head or something stupid. I had to drill out the bracket cos its a fair bit bigger. The captive nut has been re-tapped at some point prior to me owning the car when it was in japland, it pulls up aok and doesn't come loose.

youngsyp

I went and bought a set of allen keys last night as I don't have access to tools where I am. I had a go at tightening it and it is very tight as it is so, I've discounted that now. It appears that the well known Maldon based tuner did do a good job after all !!

I think it's the only part or the suspension I have changed now, the top mounts. I think I'll order a set of Tein adjustables and go from there.

Cheers

Paul