Preventing fuel surges

S

Stoned

Something i've noticed since upgrading to the Walbro pump is that when you under less than 1/4 of a tank you can get bad fuel surges from accelerating fast or taking a left hand corner.

I'm certain this wont be doing good things to the engine

Is there anything you can buy or plumb in that will prevent this?

O

Odin

Yes you could plumb an extra surge tank in the boot with another fuel pump pushing the fuel forward.

That way the tank would allways have say 1.5lt's in it so if the tank pump sucked air you would still get the fuel from the boot tank, Till the tank pump got fuel again :wink: .

Or fit a tank baffle of some kind :wink: .

Surge tanks work like this: FUEL IS PUMPED UP TO IT BY THE TANK PUMP THEN IT GOES FORWARD TO THE RAIL BY ETHER ANOTHER PUMP OR STILL USEING THE TANK PUMPS PRESSURE IF IT CAN COPE, THEN THE UN- USED FUEL RETURNS FIRST TO THE SURGE TANK AND THEN BACK IN TO THE MAIN FUEL TANK.

Hope this helps fella lol.

rob

S

Stoned

Just a swirl pot?

I thought they removed bubbles from the fuel or something

What does 'an adequate fuel system' mean

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
eg...

Twin Bosch 044/Walbro lift pumps... To a Swirl Pot... Aeromotive Hi Flow Pump to FPR... Return from Fuel Rail to the Swirl Pot with the overflow back to the maintank...

That will see your little GTiR for 1000bhp worth of fuel and no surge issues either...

Rishi

antgtir

What was the length of pick up pipe on the Walbro pump compared to the original??

I had this prob with my first R, didnt have chance to fix it but was told that normally the pickup pipe on an uprated pump is shorter than the original hence when you go round a left hand bend the fuel is out of reach of the pump.

Ant.

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
antgtir said:
What was the length of pick up pipe on the Walbro pump compared to the original??

I had this prob with my first R, didnt have chance to fix it but was told that normally the pickup pipe on an uprated pump is shorter than the original hence when you go round a left hand bend the fuel is out of reach of the pump.

Ant.

The pickup on the Walbro actually picks up from the bottom of the tank unlike some others available...

Hence why i an using Walbros in my fuel setup... :wink:

Rishi

gtir_john

i think im gonna go down the tank baffle route, am i right in thinking that all it needs to do is stop the fuel disappearing to one side of the tank or the other, surely this is the most simple fix.

antgtir

RishiGTiR said:
antgtir said:

Ant.

The pickup on the Walbro actually picks up from the bottom of the tank unlike some others available...

Hence why i an using Walbros in my fuel setup... :wink:

Rishi
Have you added baffles in ther tank or just stuck with just the Walbro??

Ant.