power steering fluid

Gaz gtiR

just need to top my power steering fluid up but what is best to use? dot 4 brake fluid or transmision oil? the stuff in at the min is red. & my gear box oil ive got is silkolene race syn 5. ive got some spare so am i ok using that or not?? its on the bottom of the cold mark on the dipstick on the cap. so only needs topping up very slightly.

Last edited:

Gaz gtiR

ok am i ok topping it up with silkolene race syn 5. which is (Fuchs titan race syn 5) theyve just changed the name. its what i use in my gearbox. as it only needs topping up a drop!

Spikey

You cant use gearbox oil for the power steering. smell it and if it smells like kitten pee then its gearbox oil .
So DON'T USE FOR POWER STEERING.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Power steering fluid is normally automatic transmission fluid. I'm not sure your gearbox oil is ok.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
just need to top my power steering fluid up but what is best to use? dot 4 brake fluid or transmision oil? the stuff in at the min is red. & my gear box oil ive got is silkolene race syn 5. ive got some spare so am i ok using that or not?? its on the bottom of the cold mark on the dipstick on the cap. so only needs topping up very slightly.
Jeeeezus... just buy some bloody power steering fluid; your local servo will sell it (and I'm pretty sure you can pick it up in most large supermarkets too), and it will come in a smaller bottle than ATF.

As above: DON'T put brake fluid in. DON'T put gearbox oil in.

Do not over-fill it. If it's on the cold mark when cold, and the hot mark when hot, that's full already and doesn't need any topping-up!