Power increase from mods for insurance

A

Anonymous

I'm considering buying an R I looked at last night and my insurance company (Elephant) are being a bit pedantic about the modifications. They want to know exactly how many BHP each modification provides.

As far as I know it's got:
- HKS induction kit
- Some kind of sports exhaust (no back box, small sausage shaped front box)
- Some kind of blow off valve (makes the noise and turbo spins up v quickly after gear change.)

Now I understand that there is no way to really find the exact bhp gain from each part without taking them all off, putting it on a rolling road and then putting on each part one at a time and testing again or indeed testing each one in isolation. Elephant don't understand this, but can anyone give me a reasonable idea of what gains they are likely to make and possible which models they likely to be or how to find out?

John (Potential GTI-R OWNER)

O

Odin

Hi mate :wink:

Induction kit should give 8-10 bhp.

exhaust will give 10-20 bhp depending on what one you have.

And blow of valve will give you nothing in bhp

hope this helps matey.

rob

A

Anonymous

Yeah I told them it's an import, aside from being picky about power from each mod Elephant seem pretty good. Haven't had to make a claim, but prices are good and they seem to accomadate most stuff.

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I got 19bhp on Well Lanes rollers from fitting an Apexi induction kit and a Mongoose exhaust.
The less you claim the easier they'll probably feel and the cheaper it might be for you. :wink:

youngsyp

Elephant are utterly sh!te if you have to claim. I have had to make 2 claims in the past 3 years due to people using my car to stop theirs and either running off or driving off without a trace. :twisted: I even had them investigated by their underwriters !
Having said that, from experiences people who I know have had, all insurance companies service degrades rapidly once you have to make a claim.
Apart from that, they are fair with prices and mods etc..
Give Bell direct a try, they undercut my quote for Elephant last year :wink:

P

PaddyPower

Be careful with the dump valve. They don't allow dump valves on their insurance policies. Don't know why as i don't know a turbo car without one and they don't alter power. :D

M

Mart

Well thats makes all R's UN-insureable then! all come with dump valves from nissan 8)

P

PaddyPower

Oh I am sooo sorry!,

No atmospheric dump valves.

Recirculating ones as standard are allowed.

I would have thought you would have realised that i wasn't talking about the standard one as the post is titled MODS (AS IN MODIFICATIONS)!

In my world a factory fitted dump valve is not a modification. And on top of that i was only talking about elephant, not the entire insurance world.

SORRY ONCE AGAIN FOR OFFERING SOME FRINDLY ADVISE SO THAT WHEN HE CRASHES INTO A POLICE CAR WITH HIS DUMP VALVE GOING OFF JUST BEFORE, THE INSURANCE FIRM DOESNT CAUGH UP THE DOSH.

I forgot you probably wouldn't have wanted that advise.

lakeview

i would not go with bell direct it took me about 8 months to sort out my claim for various reasons one being the the repairer crashed the car in the garage(i found out afterwords a friends brother works there) to hide the fact they crashed it they exaggerated the repair cost undervalued the car bell didnt want to know

P

PaddyPower

Elephant are very good on both standard quotes on the R and with mods. Especaily if yoyu are under 25 like me. They were the only company i found that would offer me insurance on an import being under 25. (22)

M

Mart

woah woaw woah, just joshing m8. :shock:

Didn't mean to spark anything off! :oops: :cry: