Possible death of Rebuilt Engine...

Fazz

Well, as title says boy am I having fun this last 12 months!

Recent problem of dying on motorway, oil pressure fine no warning lights etc...
Wouldn't start but cranked fine...

So replaced Distributor and it started first time..... only to be greeted with knocking knocking from what sounds like bottom end of engine....

Mechanic thinks bottom end or faulty piston...

Car has done about 2k miles since rebuild, and hasn't been boosted or driven above 4k rpm!

Fitted 3071 and wastegate still set as open so not boosting...

So hard to see what I could have done wrong..

Rang engine builder and he's gonna take a look - its Guaranteed providing problem was his... Possibility of faulty piston would rule this out thou... so fingers crossed and all that.

Lots of fun, and just before xmas!

But then its only a car!

Safe to say I've almost given up on the slùt, and if its gonna cost from my pocket then its gone out the door.

Strange one, but I guess I'll knwo more when its looked at properly.

When turned on now oil pressure goes up so think this rules out bottom end..

If rebuild problem, you'd think it would happenw ithin 10 miles of driving new engine...

So most confused! And don't think its the kind of thing that can be a little problem!

Doh!

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Fazz said:
Car has done about 2k miles since rebuild, and hasn't been boosted or driven above 4k rpm!

Thats not good for running in..

You need to run it in a lot harder then that mate..

You may have spun a bearing. Thats the usual knocking from the bottom end after a failed rebuild.

Rishi

Fazz

well it was boosted a little for first 500 miles and rings sealed up ok.

But since then have replaced turbo and not been boosted!

What would be the cause for a spun bearing?
i.e - would it be the rebuilders fault?

I'm trying to work out what circumstances would render the warranty void, I guess faulty piston can be the only one as far as I'm concerned...

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Bar-steward. Really sorry to hear about this Ian. Fingers crossed its under warranty. You never know, maybe it will be something simple?

good luck with it all,

Jim

J

jpward

Gee sorry to hear my friend really put you in the Christmas SPIRIT that would!!! (hick!)

IS the knocking rpm related as in comes on song about 2-3K or is it always there? Is it worse on start up when car has been sat for say a day or so?

Just about to get stripping myself and i will keep a close eye on what you find though i intend 2 x-ray pistons before i install in hope they dont fail cos like you i dont have much Irish luck with R's :x

Feel sorry for you, nothing worse that someone else making a mistake and you have to pay for,just wait for the "must have been the way you were driving it speech"

M

micra man

alrite ian lloyd told me the horrible news sorry to hear it lad
get it to dermot hell sort it good and proper8)

P

pulsarboby

without being a vulture fazz! what are you doing with car if its fcuked, are you gonna rebuild again , flog it as is, or break it?

Fazz

Vulture alert!!!! :)

Not worth my while breaking lad, I'll rebuild her with a good emchanic checking everyhting this time and then see if I keep. Might need to buy a second car more reliable in the mean time!

Ok so, GTI-R is booked in with Dermot now so he'll start in Jan. He rebuilt his R and its running sweet as a nut Joey and he's the only mechanic left in the country that I'll trust. A1 mechanic so off it goes.

Depending on his report when stripped, I'll then go back to rebuilder if its his fault and he'll check it out and we'll sort something money wise. It may not be his fault so not casting judgement just yet.

So after being off the raod for about 10 months in 2006, 2007 isn't starting any better... But hopefully when sorted it'll stay out of the garage!!!

ECU and Injectors will be got in the mean time so at least when done it'll be everything done. Also I'll take off the downpipe and elbow and get custom made 3" off mate in Jan.

God damn lack of reliability, and lack of expertise in this country is a joke.

M

micra man

hang in there lad it will all be worth it. good move bringing it to dermot he built his engine from scratch and its running sweet as .he also rebuilt the gt starlet from scratch and that was running like a dream, hell sort it once and for all.you fancy a break with the lads january 5th pop over to me.;-)

Fazz

Jan 5th... hmmm... gf's birthday the 10th..

If I don't get over them I'll go over when Dermot getting his ECU done for a catch up.

Pat will be due over around that time too I think...

Know any decent Micra's for sale to runaround in????

:) I'll be fooked if I get another Nissan!

M

micra man

ha ha hai gave my one away for nothing to the local scrappy.:lol: and it was perfect

HotSnot92

Southeren Ireland Regional Rep
alright gar i will b going over with dermo 2 get da snot sorted of rc bad news about ians car:evil: :evil: at least dermq will sort it:thumbsup: sound bloke .hope santy brings u what u want a new micra gtir:-D :-D :-D nice 1 bud happy crimbo gar dont drink 2 much :thumbsup:

M

micra man

alrite pat, same to you bud stay save in the snott.
i dont think santa can fit a 5.3 inch blond in his bag lol
looking forward to retuyrning the favour a few year bk when i stayed over in your gaff when lloyds tubby went back:lol:

sorry for the hijack fazz, whens the car due at dermots or u gonna forget about it and get blasted for the xmas?

Fazz

No bothe Gary, Goin to Dub with Dermot to collect on 28th. He'll start work in Jan then so see how he goes.

Have a merry xmas if I'm not talking to ya lad!
IF you're not good, be good at it!

Happy new year! Wahey!!!! :)

And yes, I will be getting sauced up .. starting tonight! Last day yipee!

Laters.