possible apexi s afc problem?

houghy_1

the pulsar was about to be MOT'd and decided it doesnt now want to fire up. After havin the engine out to do the clutch fork and fitted back in the engine fired up on probs. Since has only been drove in and out of a garage. We've checked theres a spark at all pots. And theres defo fuel gettin through cos it reaks of it. What im wonderin is if its throwin too much fuel in on start up stoppin it firing. And also can the apexi unit be causing this as the battery has been disconnected a few times. Failin me needing someone to look at the apexi unit can someone post up am idiots guide of the things i should be checking?

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If it's flooded, try taking the plugs out and letting the bores dry; then try again. Are they platinum or iridium tipped pulgs? My experience is that they foul really easily compared to copper cores, and once they're fouled there's no spark.

williams

could you not have knocked the dizzy and knocked the timing out? if you are getting a spark and fuel it should run.

have you not got data scan?

has the tps been knocked aswell?

i would check them 2 things 1st.

johnny gtir

If your getting spark and fuel but to much fuel press throttle right down and keep it pressed while turning the key brings in anti flood keep it turning over till it starts after 30 secs if it has not started there is more problems. In the mean time if it dose start then release the throttle of course

houghy_1

Got the R to start finally.
I started by taking plugs out cleaning drying and airing for a while,
then disconnected the Apexi SAFC and it fired up 1st time although running really badly wouldnt idle properly and it stunk well too rich.
Turned it off reconnected the Apexi and fired up again,same dodgy running but left it running for a good 20 mins and it seemed to get better steadily to the point where it would actually rev and not splutter when the accelerator was pressed.Still smells really rich though.
Packed up for the night,see what tommorrow brings at its MOT,just hope its a tempermental dizzy/crank angle sensor.
Under the bonnet hadnt been touched so the dizzy/timing and TPS should be ok.
But the last time the R was off the road for so long the timing and TPS were out somehow.
Thanks for the advice

danr

the ecu has a a/f self learn system, try clearing that with scantech . might help (or might be possible by disconnecting ecu for 30 mins).

Fusion Ed

Not on starting it doesn't in fact it only learns short term (were talking seconds). And it doesn't start working at all until the engine coolant temp is above about 65 deg c (from memory). Until this point AFR base = 100% and it just reads from the map.

Fusion Ed

Exactly. That's it. Nothing more. As soon as you put your foot down and start making noticeable boost it also goes open loop and defaults to stock map values, regardless of what the AFR base has been doing...