Porting a 3071 WG

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Whilst my engine is out I thought I would port the internal waste gate of my 3071 to help with boost surge. Though I had mapped round the problem and the car pulled smoothly on part throttle it would sound like a "steam train on full tilt" :lol: :lol:

I've read a bit on the affects of porting but not seen a good post on practically how to do it.

What I know is you take the exhaust housing off and port the wg hole wider and the internal side of the casing to for flow. This could be a lot of old nonsense though. can anyone point me to a good link on the best way to do this. Ideally for a 3071 but I'm sure I can work it out.

The othe option is to make the WG hole even bigger and install a bigger flapper valve too. This sounds more effective but potentially more prone to mistakes so I imagin this should be done by a machine shop?

rossdj1983

did see something on here somehwere with someone porting an evo tubby??

to save some mucking about why not weld it shut and go external?

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
rossdj1983 said:
did see something on here somehwere with someone porting an evo tubby??

to save some mucking about why not weld it shut and go external?
I had thought of that and I noticed you've just sold an excellent value kit but otherwise for the manifold, waste gate pipework etc etc it all adds up so I thought I would go for the poor boy method instead. It will give me more options on any manifolds in the future.

JAMMA

I ported the wategate on my 3071r-wg. Its really simple to do. You can enlarge the hole to about 30mm without having to fit a bigger flapper. I done it on a milling machine rather than using a die and grinder. Ive got some pics up on the gtir-tech forum.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Jamie, I'll go and have a look there and it'll probably answer all my other questions. :thumbsup:

Update: Had a look, nice job! Can't find any info on whether it did the job or not. Have you got that far yet?

Last edited: