poorly 'R

I

ikarl

hey people, hoping someone here can help......

I bought an 'R about a month ago from Birmingham, it was cleaner than any of the others I had seen and had a respectable 323bhp at 0.9bar......
After the deal was done I drove the car home (to Glasgow) with no problems at all, but once I got home I checked under the bonnet to find all the oil had pretty much escaped through the dump valve and had coated the exterior of the engine :doh:

the next day (without driving the car) I refilled the oil with 0-40 as had been used previously, and took the car for a drive to check everything was ok....... no probs!

there was a small amount of blue smoke when changing gear at full boost, but nothing more than any other turbo'd car.... it was however chucking the oil out of the dump valve...... I got my mechanic to pressure check the engine and everything came back fine with cylinder 3 being only slightly down on the rest..

anyway, on saturday after a long spirited drive (fast road pace), I came off a dual carriageway and changed down to 3rd gear at about 40mph, there was a couple of back fires and a HUGE cloud of blue smoke :doh: - I carefully drove the car home, very carefully, avoiding anything above 2500rpm. There was a constant stream of blue smoke behind me.
However once I was very close to home and already expecting the worst I put my foot down and was surprised to find full boost and normal acceleration :der: however there was a lot of blue smoke on lift off.

the car has a 3" exhaust, pipercross induction, forge front mount, aqaumist water injection, apexi safc and an HKS wastegate actuator on what looks like a standard Garrett turbo.
the car was mapped to 323bhp at 0.9bar with 289lb/ft the end of last year.

any help with the diagnosis would be much appreciated
karl

Last edited by a moderator:

gunmetalgtir

Valve stem oil seals might be fooked causing it to throw oil out of the dump valve.

I would change that 0w 40 oil, it's too thin.

MarkTurbo

ikarl said:
however there was a lot of blue smoke on lift off.
That and the fact you've got lots of oil coming from your dump valve points to the turbo being knackered ;-) Take the inlet off the turbo and check for play in the shaft!

I

ikarl

cheers guys.

I'll get the oil changed and also get the turbo checked.
Is there any specific make of oil I should be looking for / recommended by the forum?

gunmetalgtir

Ask the opie oils dude, there's a thread on here where you can post your spec list and he'll tell you what to use!

I wouldn't believe that 323bhp at 0.9 bar printout btw! ;)

topdoggtir

ikarl said:
However once I was very close to home and already expecting the worst I put my foot down
I loved this comment, you think the car is dead so what the heck, you might as well kill it properly....lol

Hope it gets sorted mate......

I

ikarl

gunmetalgtir said:
I wouldn't believe that 323bhp at 0.9 bar printout btw! ;)
Do you think it's maybe a little optimistic? :oops:
I'm unsure if it has had any internal work, or actual work on the turbo (it does have an HKS actuator but unsure if that's a common thing).

I had water injection on a previous MR2 turbo, and that allowed me to turn the boost up, which in turn gave me more power. So I was quite surprised to see that kind of power at only 0.9bar especially with the Aquamist :der:
My first thought was to turn the boost up a bit maybe to 1.1bar.......... but seeing as it's not running worth a sh1t now I don't think there's any point :lol:
well, not for now anyway ;-)

I

ikarl

the HKS wastegate actuator does lead me to believe that there has been some work done to turbo at some point - but without proof it's anyones guess I suppose. :?

failed to mention earlier the car does have the obligatory 255 walbro, uprated fuel pressure regulator and 550 injectors, it also has a lightened flywheel (",)

antgtir

Sounds like a few select mods have been made, maybe you have bought something that is a little more modded than standard lol.

Id check the turbo as already stated to ensure seals haven't gone, especially as engine seems to be holding compression.

Ant.

warringtonjack

If you're running 550 injectors, that would suggest the car has had a remap. Either a standalone ecu, or more likely a piggyback. Have a look at your ecu and see what goodies you can find. ;)

I

ikarl

yeah, good point. The car was set up at the end of last year using the apexi safc...... I'll have a wee check for the ecu to see if there's anything there 8)

I

ikarl

following the questions raised about the amount of power the car has, based on my limited knowledge of the mods.....

the car was mapped at Weston Performance, does anyone know the respectability of these guys?

just in the off chance that they would 'possibly' manipulate the figures to make it look like the work they done was the dogs danglies etc....? :?

the power graph does show an impressive power and torque bands and has even been commented on by the mapper that the power is strong for 0.9bar?

cheers