PLEASE HELP

Rav

hope every ones ok out there just recently got my self an R and its pretty much standard part from the zorst and induction kit plus hks single plated clutch. i need expert advice on moding it as im only 21 finance is a little tight, i will start with the basics and slowly work my way up. any advice will be appreciated.

p.s i own a j plate black G on white rims

J

J-GTi-R

If money is tight and you're 21 (i.e. paying stupid amounts for insurance) I'd suggest getting the brakes and suspension sorted out, as those mods shouldn't affect the premium too much (my insurance company don't even know what a strut brace is, so don't charge me for having one).

Stick on a few strut braces, a Hispec 280mm disc conversion kit (uses the standard caliper), some decent springs and worry about upping the power later when you can afford it and the increase in insurance.

Keeping an eye out on here for 2nd-hand stuff will save a few pennies too.

Cris

I would suggest a cat replacement pipe.

A full system is nice but for low cost dropping the cat and back-box will give a nice change at low cost. As yours is G then it doesn't need a cat anyway...

J

Jamie_GTIR

sorry to hijack but does L ('93) require a cat?

and im 19 and my R is standard honestly ;)

if your going the fully above board route definately uprate the brakes first as this shouldnt really affect premiums!

A

Anonymous

Jamie_GTIR said:
if your going the fully above board route definately uprate the brakes first as this shouldnt really affect premiums!
uprating the brakes will dramatically affect your premium.insurance companies are of the opinion that if you can stop faster you`ll drive faster.
everything you do to a car has an effect on premiums :cry:

yes it does need a cat,at least at mot time :wink: :wink:

D

DodgeT

ive heard (on several occasions) that you dont need a cat for mot on an R

kyepan

if your 21 .. start saving and wait for the turbo/clutch/gearbox/engine to let go.. then you will have the cash to fix. chances are you will have a stupid excess in the region of 500.. so you need that on the side too.

J

J-GTi-R

caz said:
You need a CAT on ANY car after 1992 by law
But for the import GTi-Rs the engine code is not on MOT testers list and we only have to pass the minimum emissions regs, the CAT isn't required to be there.

D

DodgeT

thats what ive heard :D

im sure that its 1993 thats the cut off date for cat's, not 1992

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
The cat test applies to 93K and onwards, so any J reg and before don't need them.

i need expert advice on moding it as im only 21 finance is a little tight
My advice is DON'T then. It'll put your insurance up, inless you don't declare it, then you could lose everything if you have a bump and they find out. The extra power will put extra strain on components like the clutch which wil fail quicker leading to bi££s :shock:

andygtir

j's right no need for the cat on import R's.

i though the cat only really works when the car is cold, so when having the emissions test done when the cars hot, the cats not much use anyway.

i've been told that having a cat isn't required by law, just the ability to pass the relevent emissions test :?:

O

Odin

My R is a 94 L reg and i'v never had a problem
getting it mot'd as it's not on the system 8) :wink: .

rob