please help no oil pressure

bazgtir

hi everyone, any advice would be helpful plz, i have just had my engine fully rebuilt including new oil pump and the turbo refurbished. The engine is back in the car and has been cranked over and the oil filter soaked in oil, still there is no oil pressure reading from the pressure tester, does anyone have any knowledge as to wat cud be wrong, cheers guys:?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
How long was it cranked over for? long enough to fill the filter and build up oil pressure?

What pressure tester are you using? An external mechanical gauge would be your best bet.

If it's the standard gauge, make sure the sender unit is connected.

Was the oil strainer pick up refitted? Is it blocked?

stevepudney

GTiROC CHAIRMAN
Staff member
like rob says above get a good charged battery on the job as it will take a while to charge all the oil ways before it starts to show a little pressure on the standard gauge.

bazgtir

my mechanic has tried to crank the engine by hand and im pretty sure he will be using a mechanical gauge and it has a new battery, i will ask him to take out the plugs and crank it using the ignition, if this doesnt work ill ask him to check the strainer pick up, cheers for the advice so far ill keep ya posted :)

P

pulsarboby

i take it that he has connected the oil pressure sensor wires?
is there an oil light on?
it maybe just a naff sensor or wiring thats causing the prob!
just incase he doesnt know, the big one with the rubber boot is the pressure sensor, the other is a temp gauge.

bazgtir

im fairly sure he has connected the pressure sensor but ill check, dont think its a naff sensor as when the car was running the the pressure was at around 4 bar and then the pressure gauge gradually dropped until just below one, which is when i contacted norris designs for some advice and they suggested a seized oil pump and recommended the rebuild, ill post again tomorrow when i know more, cheers guys

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
bazgtir said:
dont think its a naff sensor as when the car was running the the pressure was at around 4 bar and then the pressure gauge gradually dropped until just below one, which is when i contacted norris designs for some advice and they suggested a seized oil pump and recommended the rebuild,
Which could be a knackered sensor. I'd try a known good one just incase. I hope it isn't that, so that your rebuild wasn't a waste of money in effect.

Try a mechanical gauge like I said above, that will definately confirm if you have oil pressure or not.

P

pulsarboby

sorry karl didnt see that post of yours:doh: im turning into a parrot:lol:

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Odin said:
I don't see how the oil pump could be seized because it runs off the crank, But I'm sure the oracle that is Bobby will know better :shock: :lol: :lol: .

Rob
Neither do I. I have had a broken pump gear on an old car tho, that loses you oil pressure, but it ran fine until switched off.:shock:

Shaun

Oil pressure relief valve stuck?Possibly picked up some swarf/dirt from the machining/building thats jammed it open?