Please help, advice needed with timing

• Thread starter MORRISMINOR GTI-R
  • Start date
M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

started stripping my engine down today for a full rebuild. Got the bottom pulley to the TDC mark but the 2 silver links in the timing chain are slighty offset anticlockwise by what looks to be a full tooth out on the chain. Is this the correct position for the markers to be in or has my timing been too far advanced and is a tooth out?
btw the nissan seal on the dizzy has never been touched.

thanks in advance

geetee

I think ur confusing cam timing with ignition timing. :?:

The position of the chain on the cam sprockets at TDC determines your cam timing - i.e. when ur valves open and shut.

The position of the dizzy determines when your spark plugs fire - and is set using a timing light with the engine running.

By the sound of it ur referring to cam timing as your in the middle of pulling the engine down and can see the timing chain!

I can probably point u in the right direction for the ignition timing but I don;t know about cam timing - never done it.

Someone will be along shortly to set u right I'm sure.

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

yes mate it is the cam timing in struggling with i just didnt think the car would run with the timing a link out with the dizzy in the factory set place :?:

geetee

I've heard of ppl running 2 or 3 links out..... fairly poorly though I believe.

Still dunno what the correct setup is for the cam timing on these though.

I was wondering about your sanity - and that you couldn;t be in the middle of an engine pull down and confusing the cam and ignition timing. :lol:

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

no mate i know what im on about its just not easy for me to explain it on a computer :oops:

p.s i aint doing the rebuild - a mechanic at work is but he aint got any info on the sr20det at all :(

but why would somebody time it up wrong . for what reason?

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

:D just worked it out off this info and the timing is fine 8)