Pistons

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Looking to source some 87mm pistons for the block I have.

These options are looking favourite from Erics:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CP-SC7328...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ebdfad412

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JE-298729...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2322bd0425

Both are standard CR.

The CP's seem to be well proven as I know a few people have used them and been happy. I noticed these JE FSR pistons that are marginally cheaper but wondering if they are better as well.

My understanding is the technology has been around in NA motors and my BMW may even have this style of piston.

I can't find much on the internet about people's actual experiences with them.

Anyone have any feedback?

Cheers,
Jim

fubar andy

Moderator & N/W Rep
Staff member
I've had JE's (86mm) since 2007 and mainly used on track.

They've worked fine and never had any complaints about them.

Some people say they are noisy on start up, but tbh I've never noticed that?

Mine have the oil squiter clearence machined into them (I specfied RNN14 pistons) and have have the receded valve gaps too.

As a piston they've done the job, I can't say much else as they are pistons. They've gone up and down in my engine and they've done what they supposed to.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Andy. I'd heard the JE's were okay too but good to know you had a set. I expect yours were the old design rather than the new FSR with added marketing :)

I have 87mm JE's (old type) in mine and they do slap a little when cold but the engine was build before I got the car so don't know what clearances it was built to. But had no issues with them.

My new engine is going have a set of CP's as they had the size/CR I wanted off the self and there was more material between the rings and pinion, which I thought was a good thing.

red reading

Use cp jim if you want a quiet engine, another option is Mahle who are the biggest piston and ring manufacture in the world and they are another good price piece of kit.

Fsr on the je is the same style as cp too fwiw it's just another sales pitch, I think je use a harder grade of alloy compared to cp and Mahle which means they have bigger cold Clearence than the others hence the slap on start up, wieseco use off set pins to reduce bore wear from thrust but are another noisey piston from cold.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
Thanks Gents. I did some more searching on here and found some of your old posts to similar threads that also helped.

I expect there is nothing wrong with the JE's but I'll go for the CP's as well proven. My HKS pistons were 4032 alloy so the fact the CP's are marginally softer doesn't concern me. Stu has been able to source new rings quite cheaply which is an attraction too.

Cheers,
Jim

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
I'd take a punt it's because he's got a new block and the old ones don't fit it.

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
If I remember right, it looked like someone had taken to the top of the bores with a lump hammer and chipped bits of them off.

campbellju

Moderators
Staff member
As discussed. I think failure mode was HG failed but not completely as metal HG. Next the block failed and lots of water in the piston chamber.

Pistons weren't bad. Far side looked mint, side with the failed HG/block was functional but I wouldn't use it again.

Juggs

Also looking at these two options myself if i do take the plunge and rebuild one of my engines.
Does anyone know of a U.K based supplier for the Mahle or even just one that can deliver to the U.K?

mikey bean

is there any sort of guide as to what sort of power or boost you can put through all these pistons mentioned?? sorry to be a pain. lol

red reading

Used to run them in my mates car and that was 300bhp and then had 125hp of nitrous on top, loads of cars and bikes use them and I have never heard a bad report.