piston upgrade question?

M

Mulisha

Hey guys, Question of the week. If I were to buy some HKS forged pistons would I be able to just install them and that would be it or is there something special I need to do. And if I were to buy 87 mm pistons and I get the block bored would I have to buy anything else and would I have to remap the ECU or anything like that?
Oh yeah. Which would be better standard piston size or 86.5 or 87mm and would you notice any performance increase?
Thanks

J

jasegould

The reason that you fit forged pistons is so you can basically run higher boost, and to do this you will need loads of other stuff eg ecu, boost controller...the higher the power output of the engine the more stuff you will need.

You can use HKS pistons without doing anything to the engine/fuelling but it sort of defeats the object of putting forged pistons in.

The smaller the piston the less you have to bore the cylinders, more metal = more strength.

M

Mulisha

Yeah, did some more research and I figured if I was going to get pistons I might as well go for 87mm cause I gotta get the block honed any ways. Does any one have a contact for the most inexpensive forged pistons. Not the cheapest made though. And what do you need to do to the ECU? And is there a piggy back system that can do the same as an ECU tune?