piston rings

smoked

hey all

what is the best type of file to use to file the end gap on piston rings?

my new cp`s come with file to fit rings

also can some one just confirm the end gaps im going to use are correct heres the link to cp`s spec sheet:

http://www.cppistons.com/catalogs/misc/Cp2005brochRing3hr.pdf

my bore is 86.5mm so thats 3.405 inches, so from the chart on the above link my end gaps need to be

top ring - 0.024"
sencond ring - 0.027"
oil rings 0.015"

cheers for any help, i know i could just give the bits to a company but id prefer to learn as this is one of the only things i have never done to do with engines.

smoked

are you offering your services bob???

your using cp`s tho are you not? what did you use?

Last edited:
P

pulsarboby

lol ok first of all, do not gap the oil control rings as they can easily break!
believe it or not i use a dremmel to do them (just make sure there held tight) its a monotonous job though, you would be better off to let the engineers who bore the block fit and gap them.
always pays to go slightly over the spec'd gaps too (especially if your gonna be running a high level of boost!

smoked

cheers bob, well i have already had the block bored out to suit the pistons, the guy who did it has a really good reputation and was really busy so i did well getting the block done tbh so did not want to mider him.

so do you think i could use a really fine file, files arent my thing really so i was wondering if the one i want has a perticular name as i know rings are made from hardened metal?

so your telling me i dont need a peado file now?