Piston grade

G

GTiRich

Just a quick one. Went into nissan to order my new pistons and they said i had 4 options. Grade 1,2,3 or oversized. I'm guessing i need 1,2 or 3 but which one?? Thanks for ya help guys

A

antilag

mine were all two but i guess it depends on the engine put the same grade that came out i guess :? :?

G

GTiRich

pistons aint out yet, thats the thing. i was kinda hoping to find out before taking the engine apart to keep it off the road for as short a time as possible

turblio

Is it not the number on the dome that describes it? like 54C or something
Olly will correct me I expect :wink:
Frank

Jobi Joba

first:why bothering buying std pistons?If u had a piston failure,ur cylinder is weird...so need a rebore...so need overized.U can have forged one at pretty good price u know...

second:the grade of ur pistons is written on ur block.U'll see that after having removed the head.

G

GTiRich

Standard pistons are only about £200 a set whereas forged are at least £500 and they way my finances are at the mo i really cant afford the extra, in the future maybe. Plus my insurance is due this month aswell :cry: :cry: I know why the piston melted anyway, some nonce tried to run my car on unlimited boost, think he managed to take up just past 1.8 bar til he realised i was shouting at him to stop :evil:

O

Odin

What's the point of putting new round pistons into an oval bore :? :roll: anyway :?: . It sounds to me Rich that you can't really afford your R so
would be better off selling it a buying something you can afford :roll: .

As for piston's being £500 you can get them from the states for as little
as $399 and there forged, If you carry on and rebuild you motor the way
you plan too it wont last long and will prob breathe very heavy indeed :cry: .

Well put it this way know one on hear would buy it off you after such a
billy bodge up rebuild :idea: .

rob

G

GTiRich

Have you got an address for these pistons??? Normally i would be able to afford it but at the mo i'm going through such a shitty patch with things i just wanna get it back on the road then upgrade when i have the cash to do it properly. The rebuilds not being done by me. Just by a garage, i'm just getting hold of the parts

O

Odin

I got mine from jgycustoms but Andy (Mrgtir) could prob get you a set of
je's but there a bit more expensive :wink: .

rob

skiddusmarkus

I don't think anyone on here would recommend you fitting standard pistons,unless you were just going to replace 1 maybe.Just seems like a waste of the labour charges to me,which are a lot more than the cost of the parts.

M

MORRISMINOR GTI-R

ive just had my engine rebuilt on standard bits :oops: :oops: :oops: dont bother ordering the parts until youve seen the extent of the damage as the pistons only take 2 days to arrive.

I think its a bit harsh to say your going to have oval bores. Mine had a f*cked piston and rings on no4 , after a hone out it was 100% fine :wink:

btw u allways find something else along the way :wink:

G

GTiRich

Just seems like a waste of the labour charges to me,which are a lot more than the cost of the parts.
Not where i go. the guy only charged me about £300 for a complete engine removal and refit. Not bad really. I have decided to take the R off the road for a year just until things settle down and get a little bit calmer. I'll get it fixed properly in that time and just bring it out on the odd occasion.