petrol in oil?

Studlife

my R had low oil pressure the other night, checked the stick and the oil stunk of petrol, and was low, how is fuel making its way into my oil?

A

AJ4

it could be past the piston rings. Check the fuel pressure regulator on the end of the fuel rail isn't leaking fuel straight into the intake manifold.

is the car running really rich ? ever have any problems starting it ?

Studlife

the car does run rich, i dont have problems starting it, i'll have a look at the regulator tomorrow, if it is the piston rings how would i sort this?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You may be suffering from bore wash if your oil is that bad with petrol. I'd be surprised if it's just down to the rings as your engine would be smoking like a bitch (sorry about that word, it's an expression where I come from)

It's probably down to something like a faulty O2 sensor, coolant sensor, leaking injector or possibly something else.

Studlife

Actually the car doesn't smoke

Fast Guy said:
(sorry about that word, it's an expression where I come from)
dont worry we use it here as well

cheers guys i'll check these out

Last edited by a moderator:

ram5ay

As fast guy sais, a fault code check shold hopefully point you in the right direction anyhow, faulty maf is a good bet too.

P

pulsarboby

i had the same problem with an astra ecotec about a year ago. put it on diagnostics and it was coming up with no faults! car had petrol in oil and was also putting neat fuel out of exhaust.
i was completely baffled, and in a last ditch effort decided to send ecu away to be checked for errors! it turned out to be faulty ecu had blown apart on injector curcuits causing neat fuel going into cylinders and down past rings.
so maybe worth getting ecu checked, or at least injector curcuits!
turned out to be earth wire to manifold had brokewhich caused a surge/spike in curcuits and bang went ecu

Studlife

is it bad to drive the R while it is this condition? pressure hovers around 1.5-2 during normal driving but then sometimes the pressure will bolt up to 4 hover there for a while then drop back down

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If there's enough fuel to start diluting the oil, then I wouldn't realy drive it until you sort it as you could be doing damage to every internal bearing (big end, little end,mains, turbo, cam followers etc) surface of your engine.

Last edited: