performance

A

andy n

so i'm running a bar on a std turbo, aquamist, fmic, safc, fpr etc
and i'm just about keeping up with my mates std civic type R between 20 and 100. i'll have him off the line but it only just keeps up after this, what do people think? does this seem right?

S

smcnairn

im surprised thought the R would have a clear advantage?? my old 1997 prelude 2.2vtec was a match for the civic type R's.

A

andy n

Fire & skill said:
NO! and to be honest mate you should be running 1.2 Bar on that set - up

that'll see him off!! :lol:
lol yeah i'm keeping it well safe at the moment cos i cant afford anything to die right now. maybe a trip to a tuners is in order

ki_saj_ng

with my old engine running 1 bar, i used to be able to KILL the type r's.

at 1 bar there are no match for the R whether its off the line or rolling.

if everything else running right? when was it last serviced? even an oil change makes the world of difference.

A

andy n

its got a full goose 3.5" tailpipe but its got a silencer box where the cat was. im thinking about going straightthrough with this though. its got all the usual go faster stuff on it. so it should go faster i think.

S

samellio

are you sure it's running 1 bar?? if it's running 1 bar you should easily out accelerate a type r..
If your sure your running 1 bar then your timing will probably be out.. You've definately got a problem there :(

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I've had one Type R come close to me although I still beat him, but I'm only running 0.8bar and 246bhp. If you're running 1bar I 'd get someone to check your car over as it doesn't sound right if you're not loosing him easily.

A

andy n

yeah deffo 1 bar. i'm on the 1.1 side at times as well. i'm worried now i think its gradually got slower over the last couple of months i thought i was just getting more used to it but obviously not. its a bit slow to start as well i wonder if the spark is weak.

S

samellio

nothing to do with a service -difference between a service would not mean you couldn't out accelerate a type r :wink: as i said you've got a problem.. if your running upto 1.1 bar you should be getting 0-100 in 12 secs at the least and a type r will do maybe high 14s or early 15's...spending money getting your oils changed won't do any harm but it won't solve your problem.. :roll:

A

andy n

thats what i thought. its not just a bit dull on the edges but seiously off the pace. the other stuff needs doing and wont do any harm so i'll do all that then see where i stand. im thinking plugs, arm and dizzy cap as well. my afr(and my wallet) says its running rich when i boot it so theres enough fuel getting in so spark and timing seems the thing.
any other suggestions.

S

samellio

do you have an aftermarket dump valve? -maybe that's leaking... does it hold 1bar ie can you watch it holding or does it spike then drop?? do you have a boost guage? a boost leak could be the cause :idea: plugs dizzy cap etc won't make it any quicker.. if they were faulty it would miss fire..
also too much fuel will slow it down.. do you get smoke under acceleration?

A

andy n

it holds boost perfectly. i've got a gauge. it doesnt smoke under accelleration, or not that ive noticed. it just has no edge to it anymore.
it does smell of fuel when you boot it. or so my mate in his FTO (at least its faster than that) said when he followed me.

Shaun

:D Hi Andy,dont know if this apply's to your car mate,my mates car drives fine accelerates nice and smooth and boosts fine,but just recently seems to be a bit flat,like you said "lots its edge".So i've checked for leaks,checked dizzy cap and rotorarm,sparkplugs,done and ECU check and everything has come up fine,so the only thing i could think of was a lambda check and this seems to have come up faulty.So might be worth a try on yours mate.We've got one on order and it should be here on Wednesday,so will let you know how we get on.

A

andy n

oooh. this went on mine with its previous owner, whats the check for it?

Shaun

:D Hi Andy,do an ECU check and while the enginecheck light is still flashing start the car,then take the revs above 2000 and hold them as steady as you can and the checklight should flash 5 times in 10 seconds.My mates check light stayed on for 30 seconds without flashing on the first time we tested it and on the second time the light didnt come on at all :shock: