PCV Filter

Sunny-D

Ive been looking into catch tanks/cans for a while now and they all seem to be fitted on the breather side of the rocker cover. This is ok when your on boost and the pcv valve is shut, but at any other time the oil vapor is being sucked through the pcv into the throttle bodies.

I thought i would try a filter between the pcv valve and t/b's and see how it goes. After doing a few searches it appears this is quite a popular mod in the states so i've copied what i found, sorry for the big pics.

The filter was just about £9 from machine mart and the fittings were £2.50 from ebay. It seems to be working quite well, this is after £20 worth of petrol.

Cool looks good, and works!!

I know this may sound stupid but would the throttle bodies need a small amount of oil to keep them lubed and working correctly? Im blocking my PCV off when I get the blank plug off Mr Pudney, so was just wondering....

Gaz

PobodY

Moderators
Staff member
Er.... if you're not letting the PCV pull oil into the inlet manifold, why not just remove it? - We don't live in California, so there's no legal requirement to have all the emission controls in place.

Sunny-D

I wanted to keep the pcv so the gases were still being extracted under vacuum, i suppose if i removed it they would be drawn through the catch can anyway. Is the idle affected if you remove the pcv valve?

Makes it idle correctly in some cases, thats why I bunging mine up to try and combat the 1500rpm tick over...

I know a few on the forum have put the bung in and the idle has dropped back to 950 to 1000 rpm, hopefully I can say the same when my bung is fitted.

Gaz