Passenger door lock

Danny S R

Hi,

I have a problem with my passenger side door lock, the central locking works ok, its remote on my alarm, but the passenger door doesnt quite lock, the switch in the handle moves to lock but seems to not make the last half a cm, thus not locking the door and leavin me to reach over and give it a final push, so the circuitry is all ok but seems like the mechanism is stiff or something, is there a known fault on it?

Dan

G

GTiRich

I used to have that exact same problem on my old R, it had a toad alarm system

S

Sunny Nutter

mine was the same for a while and now its totally stopped working electrically!
I reckon its the locking solenoid that needs replacing I just haven't had the chance to go to the scrappy to get a 'new' one!

geetee

Mine does the same thing.

But only when locked with the Clifford Remote.

If I lock it using the driver's side lock button to trigger the central locking it locks fully.

I think perhaps the Remote Locking doesn't provide power for long enough to fully lock it.

I keep meaning to take it apart to see if it needs lubing up or something - and to see how the alarm is wired in..... is it likely to be wired to each door lock or to a master central locking relay somewhere?

Cheers
GeeTee

paz

I reckon its the controller box on the drivers side, mine does the same every now and then, but seeing as a new units like £200 quid I just lean over and check the passenger side before I lock up ;)

paz

S

si.c R

Mine did the same for a while, i have a clifford alarm with central locking on mine. It only did it for about a month and then it was fine again. also around the same time there were a couple of times when i couldnt actually shut the passenger door at all :!:

ashills

mine did this so i took the door car off and theres a bracket that holds the locking bar across the door, theres 2 screws that u can adjust to get it to lock

E

ExoDet

It's probably the door latch

I have just fixed my bluebird that had the same problem.

The problem is the door latch itself. There are a couple of small plastic lugs? that are used as pivot points for parts of the locking mechanism. On mine, one of the lugs broke so that the latch would 'kind of' work, sometimes.

I tried using a screw to hold it back together, which worked for a week or two, then broke again.

Ended up just getting a new latch from the wreakers for $65NZD and now it's all happy again!!

Danny S R

Well its proper fucked now, wont unlock at all so i cant open the door! How am i gonna get the door card off to fix it??? :(

Danny S R

Sorry to sound thick but i cant see how taking my seats out would help? The door cards held on with 4 scews along the bottom then 2 near the front where it meets the dash then two pop off studs on the door edge, and i cant get 2 these! :x :( HELP! Should i cut thru the door card then buy a new one? Bit drastic but only way i can see at the mo!

geetee

Can you not get the surround of the inside door handle off?

You might be able to do a bit of forcing of the mechanism....

Otherwise find a shady car thief type who'll pop it open in 2 seconds with a coat hanger etc....

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

E

ExoDet

Check for a screw in the plastic handle thing that looks like a rectangluar cup. The bit that you would use to close the door from the inside. There should be a screw at the bottom of this.

You also need to take off the plastic surround around the door open and lock levers. Just pull the lever like you are going to open the door and then pull the surround out and off.

Once you have all that off, grip the door from the bottom and pull out/up at the same time. It also helps if the window is down. Also be carful of the wires attached to the window control switch.

Hope that helps :?:

Danny S R

Yes but the door is locked shut! :( All the screws around the edge are holding the card on?? An with it shut i cant get at em! GAY FUCKING CARS :lol: But i love it.... :wink:

E

ExoDet

Oh, I see...
Well, that's rather a big problem then 'cause even if you cut through the door card, the screws holding the lock in place are on the end of the door.

Hmm, I assume the you can unlock the door with either the lever on the inside or the key on the outside?

I guess you will have to cut through the door card and then look for the rod that attaches to either the interior or exterior door lock and pull it up (I think, but it might be push) to unlock the door. I hope the latch isn't completely f***ed otherwise you might need to take it to a... panelbeaters? mechanic?

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
I had a similar problem on my last car, where the central locking wouldn't quite lock the door properly. I put a slight bend in the operating rod to effectively shorten it's length when put back in place and it did the trick. I was just taking up the slack in the system that I put down to wear.

geetee

Well its proper f***ed now, wont unlock at all so i cant open the door! How am i gonna get the door card off to fix it???
Stating the obvious.... you have tried using the key from the outside haven't you??

If that doesn't work... you may be better of forcing the lock from the outside rather than cutting up you door card.

You can replace the fooked lock with a blanking plate afterwards.

Most recovery services (AA / RAC / etc) usually have a large range of implements for breaking into cars - for ppl locked out of course. They have all sorts of slim bits of metal with bits cut out etc that they can slide between the glass and seal and pop the lock.

Might be worth a try - probably less expensive than buggering anything up. A professional car thief would be through the door in a matter of seconds.

Annoying eh!

http://www.lockpicks.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=238

:lol: :lol:

or these guys can reprogram immobiliser keys etc... I'd go to them rather than them come to me...

http://www.studios92.com/guide/locksmith.htm

Cheers
GeeTee 8)

BenD

Cant be arsed to read the start of the post, sorry, but i had the same problem, turns out water had got into the motors on both sides, replaced them and wrapped them is shed loads off polythene and they aint stopped since :wink:

Ben