panic over ;-)

Dooie Pop Pop

cleaned the inside of my rims today and found the front ds one covered in grease :(

the cv boot nearest the wheel is split to buggery :(

not so bad except

a, im going to the jae on friday
b, iv never changed a cv boot before
c, iv no idea if i can get one in time
d, im going to the jae on friday

HEEEEEEELP!

panicking, stu

antgtir

Alright matey, they aren't too bad if you have done any other vehicle's CV boot. The real pain is getting the bottom ball joint away from the main arm, you need a ball joint splitter ideally.

Undo the centre hub nut, with the nut still on the threads so the nut is now flush with the end of the drive shaft, use a hammer to knock the drive shaft out of the splined socket, once this is done you can then move the drive shaft away from the main arm and take the split boot off the shaft. To remove the cv joint you need a pair of long nose pliers to take the surclip out from inside the joint, once the clip is out you can then take the joint away, clean the joint with a rag and take any grit or metal out, regrease with the grease you should get supplied with in the boot kit, use all the grease and place the boot onto the shaft and re place the cv joint and clip, zip tie up the boot as much as poss then re insert the shaft into the splines socket as much as poss, tighten the shaft nut. After this put the bottom ball joint back into the bottom of the arm, knock it up with a hammer to ensure its sat correctly and tighten the nut up, replace the split pin with a new one ideally but if you dont have any you should be able to use the old one. Tighten the centre hub nut up to the correct torque setting and replace wheel, jobs a goodun :D :wink:

Ant.

Dooie Pop Pop

:D cheers for that :D

spoke to Mike at mjp and he should be able to sort me a cv kit asap, in the meantime he suggested using a universal boot kit to get through the weekend 8) panic over :lol:

antgtir said:
The real pain is getting the bottom ball joint away from the main arm, you need a ball joint splitter ideally.
i' ll ask Kieron if i can borrow his special 180 degree inverted one
:lol:

seriously though do you mean the screw down variety? or the bash it to death fork type?

i suppose now would be a good time to get my antilift kit bushes fitted on the pair of lower arms i have sitting in the garage, along with a new pair of ball joints :lol:
iirc the ball joints are a sunny standard part (cheap :mrgreen: ) is this right?

thanks, stu

O

Odin

I did my front drivesharft gattor today fella, It's a very easy job indeed i ordered mine from nissan, Came next day was £23 i think. When your ready to put the drivesharft back together be carefull with the springclip as you can break them if you force it back together :cry: .

When I took it apart i found that i'd broken mine last time by being to rushed and heavy handed :roll: , You can use a small screw driver to help seat it properly :wink: .

rob

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
You should be able to get one from a motor factor if need be. My Nissan had them in stock so it wasn't a problem.
You should be able to do it in about an hours or so, and you can get away with out taking the bottom ball joint off if you want to :wink:
Take Vs advise on the spring tho, as I did the same on a previous car :?

paz

Dooie Pop Pop said:
paz said:
And there was me hoping you wouldn't make it :cry: :lol: :wink:

paz
do you know what 'swamping' is? :mrgreen: its when you pi55 all over someone whilst they are asleep :wink:
:lol: I'll look forward to it sailor :oops: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for giving him the second option Geoff :roll: :lol: :wink:

Paz

antgtir

Dooie Pop Pop said:
seriously though do you mean the screw down variety? or the bash it to death fork type?
I use the fork type, find i have a better chance of getting it split lol. Just make sure you put some of the grease you get in the kit on the fork or else you will find you will split the little rubber boot on the ball joint :wink:

Ant.

P.s. Get rid of the "stick it" version, you will find it will only split soon enough lol, see you at the weekend then :D

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Dooie Pop Pop said:
LOTS! :wink: well all that came in the kit, enough to make another very large mess if the boot comes off :lol:

stu
That'll be fun, when it eventually finds its' way on to the brake disc :p

Dooie Pop Pop

SHHH YOU B-A-S-T-A-R-D :evil: :wink: :lol:

im not gonna leave it on long enough, i really dont want it split again.
it was suggested that i took the boot to the jae and got a load of drunken R owners to help me do it :shock: :lol: anyway i didn' t need a nissan part either :D my local shop stock a universal kit without a split.

cheers, stu

Dooie Pop Pop

SHHH YOU B-A-S-T-A-R-D :evil: :wink: :lol:

i spose 2 eggcups full of grease :wink:

im not gonna leave it on long enough, i really dont want it split again.
it was suggested that i took the boot to the jae and got a load of drunken R owners to help me do it :shock: :lol: anyway i didn' t need a nissan part either :D my local shop stock a universal kit without a split.

cheers, stu