paint scratching?

gtir bean

my r is dark grey and has had a full respray before i had it in its original colour but it seems to scratch easy and since i got it about 3 months ago a fair amount of stone chips are appearing on the front.i think its not enough or poor laquer.any one else have this problem?

A

Anonymous

gtir bean said:
my r is dark grey and has had a full respray before i had it in its original colour but it seems to scratch easy and since i got it about 3 months ago a fair amount of stone chips are appearing on the front.i think its not enough or poor laquer.any one else have this problem?
with our blunt front end and fast road driving the norm,our cars are susceptible to stone chips.

i think i had my bonnet and bumper painted 3 times in 6 years :shock:

gtir bean

its more the scrathing thats annoying,i plan to get a full respray next year when i get the rust bubles fixed at the rear arch.any more word on gettin your car back?i got my new exhaust on the other day so it looks and sounds better now.

A

Anonymous

gtir bean said:
its more the scrathing thats annoying,i plan to get a full respray next year when i get the rust bubles fixed at the rear arch.any more word on gettin your car back?i got my new exhaust on the other day so it looks and sounds better now.
the flywheel will be ready at the end of oct so,hopefulyy back on the road middle of nov :D

S

S.J

Afraid their isn't much you can do about stone chips mate .. the person who sprayed your car probably didn't mix the lacquer right (i.e to much thinners or hardner) .. this would cause the lacquer not to harden as well as it can .. either that or he used a single pac lacquer. All you can do is touch up the stone chips to prevent the rust.

But the scratches you can sort .. (this technique can be used to bring your paint to a mirror finish too :wink:) ..

All you need is:

A buffer (with a hard head)

T-Cut (coarse) or ask your local body shop what they use as a buffing compound - the stuff we use is a product called "Frecla"

2000 grade or up wet and dry sandpaper

A bucket full of warm soapy water

Polish

Now i'll explain how to do this for turning your paint into a mirror (some of you may notice at close inspection of your paint it's slightly orange pealy) .. but if you just want to rid of scratches .. do the following but only on the scratched parts.

Now with your 2000 wet or dry .. and keeping it wet at all times .. rub down each panel .. (1 at a time cause then it doesn't seem so long winded - or obviosly just your scratched areas)

BE CAREFUL RUBBING DOWN ON EDGES AND LIPS .. YOU WILL BURN THROUGH YOUR PAINT VERY QUICKLY HERE .. IF IN DOUBT AVOID LIPS AND EDGES .. work round them

Now once you've rubbed you paint down .. (it wont take much at all) .. dry it .. it should be realy dull or "matt" .. if their is still some orange peal .. it will show up as shiny parts .. just rub that part down more an re-dry untill your panel is completely matt without any shiny bits. .. once thats done .. its ready to be buffed. (make sure you leave the bits that you cant get the buffer too .. it's an arese hole trying to buff them up by hand)

Buffing is straight forward so i wont go into detail on that unless asked .. just cover the panel you just did (or scratched area) with your buffing compound .. and buff 2 - 3 times .. and finaly buff it with just water to finish it (this will stop it matting off in a couple of days.. (soak the mop of the buffer before hand)

Wipe any excess "splatter" off and polish .. you'll find your panel will be covered in a lacquer with a nice sexy mirror finish .. (and without scratches) .. makes a world of diffrence to your car.