Paddle clutch - How driveable?

Rob

Hi guys,

Looking at some of the modified Pulsars that are for sale at the moment, a few of them have a paddle clutch listed as a modification. Having never driven a car with a paddle clutch, I am wondering how driveable as a daily runner one would be? Can you offer any advice?

Cheers

Rob

Rishi

Still waiting on some shims!
Paddle Clutches are ok in the town... Perfect out on the open roads...

The 3 paddle versions are generally more harsh than the likes of the 6paddle ones...

When i used the single plate paddles i found it to be quite juddery in the cold mornings but fine after about 5mins of driving... Much easier after that...

If its a new clutch then you may need to run it in for about 200miles to take the harsh edge off it...

Hope that helps...

Rishi

Rob

Hi Rishi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. They don't sound too bad then, hmmmmmmm decisions decisions. lol

Cheers

Rob

Fazz

As a side note, interested to know the benefit of organic Vs Paddle?

Is it just that paddle is stronger and should cope with more power?

Have a Helix Organci myself and not bad to drive at all. Just heavy ont he left foot if not used to it.
Think I read they good for 350 or 400 ft lb's... ?

Rishi

Fazz said:
As a side note, interested to know the benefit of organic Vs Paddle?

Is it just that paddle is stronger and should cope with more power?

Have a Helix Organci myself and not bad to drive at all. Just heavy ont he left foot if not used to it.
Think I read they good for 350 or 400 ft lb's... ?

The organic will allow more slip for easy engagement... Because of its material it will heat up quickly and stay hot... This means that it doesn't like being abused... If you try to work a hot organic plate it will just slip... Some companies try to increase the point at where it overheats and gives up by using high pressure clutch covers...

With the metal material thats used in Paddle clutches they bite much harder... The material also dissapates heat much much quicker than the organic material... This makes them ideal for harsh driving situations like sprints, drag and track... The clutch will be able to hold more torque becuase of the matalic material itself combined with the correct cover and because it cools down quickly it will last better in the harsh racing environment and won't over heat as easily as the organic one will...

Rishi

gtir bean

my exeddy 6 padle is fine.it is a bit harsh at time like pulling away on a steep hill but its easy to get used too.

mattygti-r

when i had a puslar i had the ap paddle clutch

it gave way after 3 years of use,

was a nightmare to drive in traffic, terrible around town, harsh to use full stop

juddered the car alot, perfect for track but sh1t for day to day driving

ripped apart in the end, damaged the fly wheel too.

go for a helix organic

if i had an easy to use clutch in the R i would have kept it i think,

Fazz

HAve to say the Helix is very nice to use compared to above story.

Wasn't fully aware of its holds on drags thou but thanks Rishi for sharing the Knowledge!

So that would also explain the smell of clutch odd time after a few launches then yes?? its hot and thus slipping?

It is all becoming more clear... so at a given drag event I'd only have 2/3 launches before she starts to slip..

mad max

well my exeddy paddle held up all the way to the pod this sat and gave it some stick on the way come my first run after leaving the car to cool down for 2 hours just slipped all the way down the strip took it out today and it did not slip one bit and gave it loads??????sorry i should put this in a different thread

MarkTurbo

Fazz said:
It is all becoming more clear... so at a given drag event I'd only have 2/3 launches before she starts to slip..
If you're slipping the clutch that much that its getting hot you need to learn to launch properly :lol: If it does get hot as long as you let it cool down for a bit it'll be ok again ;-)

Fazz

MarkTurbo said:
If you're slipping the clutch that much that its getting hot you need to learn to launch properly :lol: If it does get hot as long as you let it cool down for a bit it'll be ok again ;-)

Hi Mark, no clutch isn't slipping, just imagining it might at a 1/4 mile day.

Has been a slight smell of clutch after launches and not sure if this is a featuer of the helix as I read that in a search I did. It was in a thread where someone said the same thing but had been launching for a year and still the exact same with no slippage. So its still fine for me so I concur!

Haven't practised laucnhes totally yet. seems the hold 6k revs and drop clutch is teh way to go..

Rishi

Fazz said:
Hi Mark, no clutch isn't slipping, just imagining it might at a 1/4 mile day.

Has been a slight smell of clutch after launches and not sure if this is a featuer of the helix as I read that in a search I did. It was in a thread where someone said the same thing but had been launching for a year and still the exact same with no slippage. So its still fine for me so I concur!

Haven't practised laucnhes totally yet. seems the hold 6k revs and drop clutch is teh way to go..

The organic clutch plates will smell after a few launches.... Thats just it getting very hot...

Rishi

Rishi

mad max said:
well my exeddy paddle held up all the way to the pod this sat and gave it some stick on the way come my first run after leaving the car to cool down for 2 hours just slipped all the way down the strip took it out today and it did not slip one bit and gave it loads??????sorry i should put this in a different thread

You may have just glazed the surface slightly... After some normal driving it sorts itself out...

That and the fact you went with an Exedy Clutch.... There are some right horror stories with these single plate versions... Can't remember if it was something to do with ones made in Japan or the US... They were only lasting 500miles...

Rishi

Rishi

gtir bean said:
how long do cera-metalic discs on paddle clutches last compared with organic?

How longs a peice of string...

It depends on the actual metalic friction material and the use of the clutch itself... Different companies can give you different frinction material makeups..

With paddle clutches you need to look at the applications intended use... Some don't like being driven in traffic and won't last... Others do...

Example being my HKS 3 Paddle Clutch... I had it in the car for about 2.5years and it was subject to city traffic, b-roads and about 50 launches... Took the clutch out for the engine build and it was still fine... yes the material had worn down as expected but it was still very usable... I just gave it to the Engine Builders son for his GTiR...

Then take my new SuperClutch Metal Twin Plate... it will hold 750lb.ft torque but won't take kindly to city traffic... Whereas if you use the Organic Plates then you would be fine but it won't hold the torque i need it to...

Rishi

gtir bean

its bruce's old exedy,not sure what its meand for but its been fine for over a year now.never seen a launch yet thou.