overheating

nismoboy

my r is overheating badly, im seeing water temps of 110 degrees and oil temps of 110 also, Only thing i found was the bottom rad hose was rock hard!

I removed my thermostat and tested it and that works fine, i also done a compression test to see if the head gasket had gone but its fine.

Only things i can think of is either water pump? or my rad cap which is a 20psi one.

Is 20 psi to high for a rad cap? whats pressure rad caps do u all use?

also how do u test/check to see if the water pump is ok?

Any help on this would be much appreciated.cheers nis.

N

Norfy

whats the coolant condition like? just wondering if its all chalky it could have built up in your pipework.

think my rad cap is 1.2bar rated, not sure tho

nismoboy

Norfy said:
whats the coolant condition like? just wondering if its all chalky it could have built up in your pipework.

think my rad cap is 1.2bar rated, not sure tho
coolant is fine and still a nice clear blue shade.

nismoboy

All it can be now is either an airlock? or the water pump.?

Does anyone know how to test the water pump? cheers nis.

N

Norfy

what about if you take the belt off and see how freely it turns by hand.
think the impeller is metal, so not much chance of it breaking up.

wouldnt think it was an airlock.

is there enough oil in the engine?

nismoboy

Is that the only way of testing the water pump? by removing the belt and turning the pulley by hand? if so how will i know if its fooked? will i feel resistance by turning the pulley or will it just be siezed? and not able to turn?

nismoboy

which way does the coolant flow on an r? does the waterpump push the water through the block to the thermostat, then once the thermostat opens it goes to the rad, then through the rad upto the top hose and back into the block?? or does it go the oppsosit direction? thanks.

nismoboy

which way does the coolant flow on an r? does the waterpump push the water through the block to the thermostat, then once the thermostat opens it goes to the rad, then through the rad upto the top hose and back into the block?? or does it go the oppsosit direction? thanks.

nismoboy

nismoboy

J

jiw

on the water pump their is a hole behind the pulley, i think you can see it from the top with a torch and a good eye, when the bearings go the shaft drops obviously and the seal weeps, the hole is their to divert the water out away from the belts iirc, check to see if thats leaking, also try removing the rad cap and starting the car, if the water shoots in the air its more than likely theirs a head gasket problem or a crack somewhere, are the fans spinning the correct way? try holding some string in between them and the turbo and see which way it pulls, jeff

nismoboy

All sorted now, ive put it all back together and bled the rad properly and it seems fine now temps are now nice and cool. Must have been a big airlock thanks nis.