overheating HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S

stuartjeeves

driving my car last nite i noticed that the oil temp went from 85c to 110c when i pulled over the the water expansiontank was steaming the rad fans were working but when i checked the hoses the top hose was really hot but the bottom hose leading to the thermostat was luke warm what does this mean i ent no mecahnic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! apart from this the car runs just like normal, any assistents would be appreciated pleaSE HELP :D :) :eek:

W

WoOsH

was the heater working? what did the engine temperature gauge say? have you lost much coolant?
It cud be the thermostat if its hot one side and warm the other.

S

stuartjeeves

the heater was fine blowing hot and cold and in car temp was half way up gauge? why would oil temp go up wel confused!!!!!!!!!!

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Check the water level in the radiator.
Has anything been done to the cooling system recently, if so you may have an air lock.
Failing that it's probably worth checking the water pump/water pump drive belt, or the thermostat.
Head gasket is a long shot, but could cause you to lose water and over heat, normally you'd see steam and maybe experience rough running due to loss of compression.

S

stuartjeeves

how do you get an air lock out of the system???????? sorry i ent a mechanic just very concerned arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrghh

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Has the cooling system been disturbed then?
You need to bleed the system to get the air out. There's a bleed screw on the block somewhere (I've never had to use it so not 100% sure where) I think it's near the thremostat somewhwere. You can also try compressing the radiator top hose a few times as well when the engines running. It helps on other cars so may do something on the R.

J

jasegould

I recomend changing the thermostat...cost about £15 max IIRC and takes about 10 mins to change, and then bleed it out properly.

IMO thermostats have a limited life and are overlooked until a problem develops.
Jay

S

stuartjeeves

would having a shagged thermostat make the oil temparture sky rocket??????

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
If your engine was over heating due to lack of water it would make the oil temp rise too.

Fast Guy said:
You need to bleed the system to get the air out. There's a bleed screw on the block somewhere (I've never had to use it so not 100% sure where) I think it's near the thremostat somewhwere.
Its on the thermostat housin with an arrow opointin to it. 10mm bolt. Take it out until starts pi$$in out with coolant.

Ben

Matt Evans

My car did exactly the same when it had a water leak. The oil temp would start to rise and only after I'd lost a good bit of coolant would the engine temp start to go up. The cause of the leak turned out to be the water pump. I also changed the thermostat as well, if you do change the stat get it from Nissan (£17 + vat) as I bought one from my local car spares shop and was given the wrong one, it fitted but looked really cheap and nasty the Nissan one was much better quality. Plus I fitted a Nismo Rad cap which was about £20 off Ebay. To monitor your coolant to see if you have a water leak, try the following.

First of all fill and bleed your coolant system by making sure your car is on a level surface then remove the bleed screw, its on the thermostat housing, there are three bolts holding the thermostat housing on and the bleed screw is right next (to the left) of the top bolt.

Once the bleed screw is removed, remove the rad cap and fill your rad with coolant until coolant starts to come out of the bleed hole. Try to be quick and refit the bleed screw while the coolant is still pouring out of the hole.

Once the bleed screw is tightened, carry on filling the rad until it is full then replace the rad cap. Also fill the expansion bottle up to its Max. mark.

Now drive your car as normal and keep a watch on that Oil temp gauge, if it starts to go over its normal temp you will know that you have lost water again thus telling you that you definitely have a leak.

This method of determining whether you have a leak or not will only work if its a relatively small leak as with a larger leak the coolant could pour from your engine quite quickly (especially under load) and cook your engine, but as long as the leak is fairly small and when the temp starts to go up you refill the coolant straight away and exactly as I've explained you should be o.k.

Obviously make sure that you are carrying plenty of water with you!

Incidently I replaced my water pump and my temps are fine now. :D

S

stuartjeeves

need more advice

thanks every1 it was my termostat causing me the problems however i was alitle zelus when tightening the nuts and have cracked the housing(thermostat) does any 1 know the part number for said item or have a british chassis number i can give nissan they r not to keen on my jap pulsar thanks gtir masif