Overboosting

dal.a

Ive just got myself a second R which needs some bodywork and odds and sods doing,ive stuck it in my garage and play with it after work.I took it out for a run last nite and found the boost goes on to a point where it holds back,(well off the standard gauge),ive checked every pipe and hose over and over and they look ok,also when i go to pull away from idle it has a hesitation i think this may be part of the same prob.Any ideas- even if you think its a hose and i aint looking hard enough.Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I had the same problem, just turned out to be the timing, it was way out. I think the previous owner had tried to adjust it without disconnecting the ECU timing control wire.

What boost are you getting? if it reads 5 then ECU has detected DET and retarded everything.
Check ECU for error codes also.
If timing is ok then it may be worth checking your MAF earth (a common R problem).

Fast Guy

Moderators
Staff member
Have you made sure the hose from the wastegate actuator to the boost solenoid/metal pipe under the top mounted intercooler and then onto the plenum is there and intact? That will cause unlimited boost if not there.

dal.a

Thanx for all the sugestions,it turned out that when a new clutch was fittted the donuts had put the gearbox breather pipe onto the topmount and left the actuator pipe going to nothing.I found the prob by putting an airline into another boost pipe and then finding the leaking air.And its no suprise it drives alot better now. :D

geetee

I did this when I fitted my first BOV :oops:

Loads of boost but it siphoned a load of gearbox oil and dumped it into the inlet - I've never seen so much white smoke from an exhaust....

Nice coating of gearbox oil around the engine bay from the BOV too.... still should help prevent the rust eh :)

I'm an arse!

Cheers
GeeTee

8)